[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
tribaltextiles.info • View topic - Filipino Textile Exhibit in New York, February 4-15

tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm 

Attachments:
Filipino-textile-1a.jpg
Filipino-textile-1a.jpg [ 64.25 KiB | Viewed 20725 times ]
Filipino-textile-1b.jpg
Filipino-textile-1b.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 20725 times ]
Filipino-textile-2.jpg
Filipino-textile-2.jpg [ 61.37 KiB | Viewed 20725 times ]
Filipino-textile-3.jpg
Filipino-textile-3.jpg [ 63.83 KiB | Viewed 20724 times ]
Filipino Textile Show.pdf [112.18 KiB]
Downloaded 914 times

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:56 am 

www.bataktextiles.com
http://bataktextiles.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Philippine Textiles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 am 

Dear Kim and Peter

How very exciting to have a exhibition of Philippine textiles in New York. I lived in the Manila for many years in the 80's and early 90's and still have family living there. At that time I collected mostly beads and ethnic jewellery, the only really good textile I have is like the Picture No 3, which I think is a Tinguan blanket. Mine is in blue and cream and in very good condition. I would also, like Sandra, be very interested in a catalogue, are you planning to print one? I am curently working on my MA Dissertation on the 'Contemporary expression in Eastern Indonesian textiles'
I read the extract that you added, regarding the production of textiles in the Philippines expecially in the north having virtually died out, this is extremely sad, and of course makes the exhibition and this collection all the more important. Sadly the general interest in the textiles and jewellery of the Philippines raises very little interest, certaily in Britain. I do hope you have many visitors to raise the general profile.
In some areas of Indonesia certain types of textiles had died out and certainly the use of natural dies had been greatly reduced. This luckily has been reverted and many of the textiles that had died out have now been revived. Much of this revival would not happen without the support of Locally based NGO's
best regards[/img]

Post subject: No printed catalogue yet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 pm 

Dear Sandra and Lesley,

Thanks for your interest in my father's collection and upcoming exhibit! It is wonderful to find people interested in textiles and I'm glad I found this website. Currently he only has a homemade "catalogue" of the Filipino textile collection. If we put together a print version that can be distributed/sold to the public, I will let you know! My sister Hannah and I hope to photograph the exhibit and do something with those images, but I can't make any promises right now. Unfortunately, both of us work full time on other jobs/careers and are doing this in our "free" time to help my father out. In any case, I will keep you posted and give more details on the collection as we move forward with organizing the exhibit.

Thanks for your support. It is a great collection and we are excited about being able to show it to the public.

Best wishes,
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Lesley

When we met up on Tuesday you mentioned to me that you had posted a Tiguan blanket and were disappointed not to get any response. I just cannot find your post on the forum! There is a closing image tag in your post above but no image.

You - and other forum members - might like to go to weaver Kathleen Johnson's website where she has a section on the Philippines with some fascinating info on Tiguan blankets including a slide show of them and a textile analysis of one - see http://www.travlinweaver.com/tingianblankets.html Kim, your father might be interested in seeing this if your sister can help him with access to a computer.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of a Tiguan blanket from Kathleen Johnson's travelinweaver.com website
image_118-305x234.jpg
image_118-305x234.jpg [ 21.6 KiB | Viewed 20549 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Attachments:
File comment: The collage of Filipino textiles and jewellery from the invitation to the NY exhibition
collage-invite-e.jpg
collage-invite-e.jpg [ 68.21 KiB | Viewed 20050 times ]
File comment: General shot of the textile exhibit at the Philippine Center, Philippine Consulate General, New York
P_gallery01.jpg
P_gallery01.jpg [ 62.37 KiB | Viewed 20050 times ]
File comment: A view of a lovely selection of abaka textiles in the exhibit
P_gallery02.jpg
P_gallery02.jpg [ 69.8 KiB | Viewed 20049 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Admin