tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:33 pm 

Greetings! I am writing for my father who is an avid collector of textiles but is elderly and has not yet joined the internet age. He will be having an exhibit of some of his Filipino textiles at the Philippines Center of the Consulate General of the Philippines in New York. For more details on the event, see below or the attached announcement in pdf format.

For a few words on this collection, here is a short description he wrote up for one of his catalogues:

Quote:
This is a collection of textiles from the Philippines, mainly Northern Luzon, Mindanao and a few smaller islands. All the textiles were collected locally on the islands between 1970 and 1990 by reliable persons, friends, some by my daughter, Kim.

I was able to identify most of the pieces with the wonderful book "Sinaunang Habi" by Marion Pastor-Roces, Manila 1991. I also consulted Ms. Lisa Whittal of the Museum of Natural History, New York, Department of Anthropology.

I know from reports of visiting native Filipinos and also from Ms. Pastor-Roces, who curated an exhibit of such textiles a few years ago at NYU, that it is no longer possible to find such textiles locally in the Philippines. There appears to be no more production of such crafts. The techniques of complex dying and weaving (ikat) are practiced less and less, if at all, and will possibly be lost.

I believe it is not only desirable but necessary to show a larger public, including local Filipino natives and their Americanized offspring the wonders of Filipino culture and textile-crafts which are exclusively woven by women.

FILIPINO TEXTILES

From the Collection of Myunghee & Peter Reimann

February 4 - 15, 2008
Weekdays, 9 am - 5 pm

Opening Reception
Monday, February 4
6 - 8:00 pm

The Philippine Center
Philippine Consulate General
556 Fifth Avenue
(Between 45th & 46th Streets)
New York, N.Y. 10036

Information: 212-414-4883

Attachments:
Filipino-textile-1a.jpg
Filipino-textile-1a.jpg [ 64.25 KiB | Viewed 16114 times ]
Filipino-textile-1b.jpg
Filipino-textile-1b.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 16114 times ]
Filipino-textile-2.jpg
Filipino-textile-2.jpg [ 61.37 KiB | Viewed 16114 times ]
Filipino-textile-3.jpg
Filipino-textile-3.jpg [ 63.83 KiB | Viewed 16113 times ]
Filipino Textile Show.pdf [112.18 KiB]
Downloaded 709 times

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:56 am 

Dear Kim and Peter Reimann,

Thank you for bringing this exhibit to our attention. The pieces are truly gorgeous. Can you tell us more about the catalogue (length, content, number of photographs), and where it is possible to buy it?

I wish you many visitors as clearly the exhibit deserves it.

Sincerely,

www.bataktextiles.com
http://bataktextiles.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Philippine Textiles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 am 

Dear Kim and Peter

How very exciting to have a exhibition of Philippine textiles in New York. I lived in the Manila for many years in the 80's and early 90's and still have family living there. At that time I collected mostly beads and ethnic jewellery, the only really good textile I have is like the Picture No 3, which I think is a Tinguan blanket. Mine is in blue and cream and in very good condition. I would also, like Sandra, be very interested in a catalogue, are you planning to print one? I am curently working on my MA Dissertation on the 'Contemporary expression in Eastern Indonesian textiles'
I read the extract that you added, regarding the production of textiles in the Philippines expecially in the north having virtually died out, this is extremely sad, and of course makes the exhibition and this collection all the more important. Sadly the general interest in the textiles and jewellery of the Philippines raises very little interest, certaily in Britain. I do hope you have many visitors to raise the general profile.
In some areas of Indonesia certain types of textiles had died out and certainly the use of natural dies had been greatly reduced. This luckily has been reverted and many of the textiles that had died out have now been revived. Much of this revival would not happen without the support of Locally based NGO's
best regards[/img]

Post subject: No printed catalogue yet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 pm 

Dear Sandra and Lesley,

Thanks for your interest in my father's collection and upcoming exhibit! It is wonderful to find people interested in textiles and I'm glad I found this website. Currently he only has a homemade "catalogue" of the Filipino textile collection. If we put together a print version that can be distributed/sold to the public, I will let you know! My sister Hannah and I hope to photograph the exhibit and do something with those images, but I can't make any promises right now. Unfortunately, both of us work full time on other jobs/careers and are doing this in our "free" time to help my father out. In any case, I will keep you posted and give more details on the collection as we move forward with organizing the exhibit.

Thanks for your support. It is a great collection and we are excited about being able to show it to the public.

Best wishes,
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Lesley

When we met up on Tuesday you mentioned to me that you had posted a Tiguan blanket and were disappointed not to get any response. I just cannot find your post on the forum! There is a closing image tag in your post above but no image.

You - and other forum members - might like to go to weaver Kathleen Johnson's website where she has a section on the Philippines with some fascinating info on Tiguan blankets including a slide show of them and a textile analysis of one - see http://www.travlinweaver.com/tingianblankets.html Kim, your father might be interested in seeing this if your sister can help him with access to a computer.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of a Tiguan blanket from Kathleen Johnson's travelinweaver.com website
image_118-305x234.jpg
image_118-305x234.jpg [ 21.6 KiB | Viewed 15938 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Admin

I thought that forum members might be interested to see the on-line exhibit which has been created from the New York exhibition of Filipino Textiles from the Collection of Myunghee & Peter Reimann previewed above. Dr Reimann gave permission for photos of the NY exhibit to be put on-line very much in the spirit of his introduction to the exhibit when he said:
Quote:
"I believe it is not only desirable but necessary to show a larger public, including local Filipino natives and their Americanized offspring the wonders of Filipino culture and textile-crafts which are exclusively woven by women."
There are some beautiful textiles in the exhibit and I am very grateful to Dr Reimann and his daughters Kim and Hannah as well as the exhibition's curator Paul Cormack for their hard work it staging the original exhibit and allowing a wider audience to enjoy them. Not only can those of us who did not have the opportunity to visit the NY exhibit get a chance to see the textiles but we are also able to refer back to them from time to time and to use them as a reference for our interest in Filipino textiles. I hope that Kim will not mind me quoting from her email to me about the NY exhibition and that you will get a flavour of this from the general gallery shots of the exhibit:
Quote:
"The gallery space was delightful, very 1970s, and it felt like a slice of the Philippines in the middle of Manhattan. I thought the textiles looked great in it."
I am posting a couple of my favourites below.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Exhibiti ... txtls.html

Attachments:
File comment: The collage of Filipino textiles and jewellery from the invitation to the NY exhibition
collage-invite-e.jpg
collage-invite-e.jpg [ 68.21 KiB | Viewed 15439 times ]
File comment: General shot of the textile exhibit at the Philippine Center, Philippine Consulate General, New York
P_gallery01.jpg
P_gallery01.jpg [ 62.37 KiB | Viewed 15439 times ]
File comment: A view of a lovely selection of abaka textiles in the exhibit
P_gallery02.jpg
P_gallery02.jpg [ 69.8 KiB | Viewed 15438 times ]

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 am 

may i know when will the event be held further

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:19 am 
Site Admin

This exhibition ran back in 2008. Many of the textiles shown in the exhibition were subsequently sold by Dr Reimann to the Textile Museum in Washington so it is possible that they may appear in future exhibitions at that institution.

As already mentioned below, the NY exhibit was captured in photos by the Reimann family and is now an on-line exhibit at http://www.tribaltextiles.info/Exhibiti ... txtls.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:22 am 

really useful info, keep up the good work!