tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Season's Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:46 am 

Wishing all the members of the forum the best of cheer for a Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year in 2015!!! I hope everyone will share more of their textiles and knowledge on this wonderful forum in the coming new year!!

Best regards

Attachments:
Sambas, Kalimantan Silk Sarong, Warp Ikat, Gold Brocade.jpg
Sambas, Kalimantan Silk Sarong, Warp Ikat, Gold Brocade.jpg [ 110.33 KiB | Viewed 4764 times ]

Post subject: Re: Season's Greetings
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 am 

Also would like to send season's greetings to everyone on the forum, and their families...hope you all have a happy and safe Christmas & New Year. As MAC is posting up pictorial prezzies...here is one from me ! Laotian embroidery I picked up about 20years ago at a market in Vientiane. Cheers and best regards to all - Steve.

Attachments:
File comment: Laos Embroidery. 142cm x 57cm. Cotton & silk.
P1010714.JPG
P1010714.JPG [ 159.43 KiB | Viewed 4759 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:16 am 

Steve,

Beautiful textile with Christmas colors!! I wonder if it is continuous and discontinuous supplementary weft woven patterns rather than embroidery? Thanks for the season's greetings and posting this lovely textile!!

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:33 am 

MAC, thanks...and yes a combination of the supplementary weft methods as you said...sorry just a lazy description earlier by me ! Will have to take some more photos and start a new thread later, rather than hijacking the Christmas thread. Cheers - Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:25 pm 

Hallo Mac, Bamban, all others.

May you all have wonderful holidays and a great start of the new year. Thanks for posting these marvelous textiles!

Enjoy,
Peter

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

I wanted to add my own 'Season's Greetings' and to thank MAC and Bambang for sharing their beautiful cloths with us. I also want to thank everyone who has contributed to the forum over the past year - thank you all very much!

I am sharing a beautiful Batak ikat cloth with you. It is fragile - it would be beyond my ability to afford if it were not in a less than perfect state. The main photo does not do justice to the glory of the colours. Sandra Niessen has identified it as somewhere between a Jobit and a Runjat The dealer that I bought it from was told when he bought it in N Sumatra that the cloth was given to a grandfather on the birth of his (first) grandson.

Here is a detail of the ikat (also showing some very fine supplementary warp down the left hand side of the image:

In Sandra's 'Legacy in cloth: Batak textiles of Indonesia' on page 158 she shows an image of a similar cloth - a runjat - being worn by a leader in the early 20th century, possibly in the Silindung valley.

Quote:
fig. sr 6.7 A Batak leader.
Early twentieth century. Photoarchives VEM 203–0195

The rugged appearance of this man contrasts with the tidiness of the men associated with the Church (see other illustrations in this chapter). It is not known where this photograph was taken but the clothing combination could have been found in Toba Silindung. He is wearing a RUNJAT Cat 6.10 hipcloth, and his shouldercloth is a RAGIDUP Cat 7.1

May we get to share many beautiful textiles in 2015 and to extend our knowledge and understanding of them, their makers and the culture within which they are based.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource