tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm 

Hi all,

Thought I would post this link to youtube on the world's rarest textile of which there is only one piece. The textile is woven from spider silk. Yes, that's right, from the silk of the golden orb spider of Madagascar. It took 80 people 5 years to collect enough spider silk, over one million strands, to produce the brocade textile which is on display at the Art Institute of Chicago through Oct. Five men wove the panels that are joined to form the large textile.

The loom used seems to be a type of draw loom in which the heddle strings are selected by hand and the sheds for the brocade weft opened by drawing or pulling the heddle threads up by hand. Unlike ancient Chinese draw looms, which were quite large and required two people to operate, the loom is small and the weaver also selects and pulls the heddle strings. Indeed, the world's rarest and most amazing textile!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFF68_bME9E

Best regards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm 

Thanks for posting this Mac. This is amazing! Most astonishing I find that the spider silk is STRONGER THAN KEVLAR! I have once handled Kevlar sails, used in ocean racing, and know that they are nearly impossible to rip. That something stronger than this is made by these small insects is a natural wonder of the first order. Question: when shall we see the first ocean racer with spider silk sails? Larry Ellison, did you get this?

Cheers,
P.

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES