tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vintage Blaan "Tabih"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 am 

Hello,

I recently acquired this beautiful example of a Blaan tabih. The piece is quite old, but still retains a very nice sheen and is quite soft. It has been sewn into a skirt or malong. If taken apart, it would measure 27" by 60".

Hope you like it.

Attachments:
Tabih 5.JPG
Tabih 5.JPG [ 185.39 KiB | Viewed 4300 times ]
Tabih 4.JPG
Tabih 4.JPG [ 151.59 KiB | Viewed 4300 times ]
Tabih 3.JPG
Tabih 3.JPG [ 203.2 KiB | Viewed 4300 times ]
Tabih 2.JPG
Tabih 2.JPG [ 186.92 KiB | Viewed 4300 times ]
Tabih 1.JPG
Tabih 1.JPG [ 190.72 KiB | Viewed 4300 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:47 pm 

A nice B'laan tabih. It has clear ikat and traditional B'laan motifs. I believe it is only one panel of a two or three panel skirt, however. Tabih melatu or 3 panel, ceremonial dowry skirts have panels like yours on either end and a full ikat panel in the center and can be 180 cen. long. I am attaching a photo of a B'laan woman from the book "Sinaunang Habi" by Marian Pastor-Roces. Note the wide ikat panel which seems to be the center of her skirt and the end panel that looks a lot like your lovely piece. Tabih melatu are extremely rare and hard to find except in early museum collections and I only have one in my collection, after visiting the Philippines two or three times a year for 20 years. Sorry no photo yet.

After World War II, two panel skirts or single panels from old skirts seemed to be all that was left of the rich B'laan abaca ikat tradition. Production seems to have continued for some time after the war but quality declined with blurry ikat and rougher abaca and I guess no more tabih melatu. Today most B'laan wear western clothes and can't be distinguished from any other ethnic group. When they do wear traditional costumes for a cultural festival you may see a semi-antique blouse or two but the women are all wearing various commercial plaid or batik malongs purchased at the market. It is hard to find a google image of a B'laan woman wearing an abaca tabih. So this staged photo is the best I could find. Modern global homogenization is the death knell for ethnic identity and for many proud tribal groups the bell has long ago sounded.

Thanks for posting this lovely abaca ikat panel. It is a treasure from a bygone era.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 am 

Sorry, forgot to upload the photo.

Attachments:
B'laan woman from the book Habi.jpg
B'laan woman from the book Habi.jpg [ 111.63 KiB | Viewed 4265 times ]