tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:44 pm 

I recently found an intriguing piece, given with 'Indonesia' as its most specific provenance that I believe to be from the Sikka region on Flores. It is not a piece of great beauty, but I was attracted to it on account of its very simple, almost childish motifs, which I believe to represent animals. It is reminiscent of the type of Sikka sarong with animal motifs, but so much more 'primitive' (excusez le mot) that it brings to mind a weaver in a very remote location, with no access to or even personal memory of more highly refined examples that might have guided her hand. (The way the animals are drawn, as stick figures, is reminiscent of the Ngada style, but the coloration pretty much excludes Ngada, where this would have been done in a dark indigo.)

What also attracted me to the piece is that it is done only in morinda, without any indigo anywhere, which would make it a pure kewatek mean, a typical requirement in some regions for use as bridewealth. Having said that, it was clearly used intensively - which also points to a very poor region where people cannot afford to put sarongs away to be used only on ceremonial occasions.

Attachment:
ikat_new_164.jpg
ikat_new_164.jpg [ 472.81 KiB | Viewed 11122 times ]

In short, a mystery piece that (perhaps for all the wrong reasons) I rather cherish, and would love to know more about.
Thanking you in advance for any information you may post,

Peter

PUSAKA COLLECTION: ONLINE MUSEUM OF TRADITIONAL INDONESIAN IKAT TEXTILES