tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 am 

Hi people, new to the forum and enjoying soaking up some wisdom. Built up a small collection of Flores and Timor ikats whilst travelling there in 1992-94 ...but other priorities since then have meant that I haven't really learnt a lot about them, just enjoy opening them up occasionally to admire. Posting a few pics of a TTS man's wrap (?hinggi) hoping to find out more about the provenance and motifs. I bought this from a villager in the Soe area in 1992 ( along with a very similar one with same motifs ) but can't remember whether it's Nikki Nikki. The size is 192cm x 100cm excluding the fringes. Saw some pics of similar motifs which were said to be a "big handed monkey"....any comments ? According to my limited understanding this looks to be handspun, indigo dyes on the central ikat area and the bright borders seem all handspun with veg dyes except for 3 narrow bands of blue & purple rayon? on each side. Hoping for some input from the wise. Sorry about the photo quality and size edit if they don't conform. Thanks and regards - Steven.

Attachments:
L1A.JPG
L1A.JPG [ 104.34 KiB | Viewed 11210 times ]
L6A.JPG
L6A.JPG [ 113.39 KiB | Viewed 11210 times ]
L9A.JPG
L9A.JPG [ 113.87 KiB | Viewed 11210 times ]
L5A.JPG
L5A.JPG [ 154.61 KiB | Viewed 11210 times ]
L4A.JPG
L4A.JPG [ 154.18 KiB | Viewed 11210 times ]