tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sumba Rohu Banggi
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:36 pm 

Hi all,

This is a long textile called a rohu banggi in Sumbanese. It is 670 x 48 cen. and has warp ikat motifs. In the distant past these textiles may have been worn as body armor wrapped around the upper body when headhunting and warfare were still common in Sumba. In more recent times they are worn by the slave who rides the raja's horse to the grave during royal funerals. I have seen a few of these pieces recently but they were only half the length of this one and the motifs were aligned to appear right side up if the textile is viewed vertically. In this piece the motifs appear correctly when the textile is seen in a horizontal view as it would be when worn wrapped around the upper body.

The other pieces I have seen had motifs of dragons, birds or chickens and one had an elephant. This piece has large Marapu figures like those found on lau hada skirts done in shells and beads (there is a great one in Art Gallery NSW). Ancestor figures are often found on hinggi male textiles and lau pahudu skirts done in a supp. warp float weave. They usually have faces with eyes, nose and mouth and I believe they represent named, known, human ancestors. Figures with a central eye, as on this textile and those found on tampan and textiles from Timor, I believe represent a creative force rather like a spirit or god as apposed to a human ancestor from the past. Only half of the textile is shown in the photos and the other half is a mirror image.

I hope other members with further information on or examples of this type of textile will add to this post as I haven't been able to find any examples in museums or info in books on textiles. If you know of any please do post the information. Thanks.

Attachments:
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestor DSCN0358 Jan.jpg
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestor DSCN0358 Jan.jpg [ 369.85 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestors and Mamuli Jan.jpg
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestors and Mamuli Jan.jpg [ 144.83 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestor, Mamuli and Dragon Jan.jpg
Rohu Banggi, Marapu Ancestor, Mamuli and Dragon Jan.jpg [ 145.49 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]
Rohu Banggi, Peacocks and Dragons N0357 Jan.jpg
Rohu Banggi, Peacocks and Dragons N0357 Jan.jpg [ 136.92 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]
Rohu Banggi, Patola Ratu Central Motif DSCN0361 jan.jpg
Rohu Banggi, Patola Ratu Central Motif DSCN0361 jan.jpg [ 165.87 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sumba Rohu Banggi
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 pm 

8) Hi,

These long cloths are also known as "hinggi" and you may find more info if you check this term. They are getting rarer and more expensive if at all findable. I have 2; one has no real motifs, simply a variety of snakes and other figures on the warp, considered rarer.

The other has motifs in black , sienna, and indigo. One of your textiles has the infamous "frog figure" found in any number of SEAsian textiles, especially Tai-Lao. (I didn't make up the name) They're easily recognizable by the squating position and the poses of the hands and feet.

I hope this information is of use.

Sandie