tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: another 'UFO'
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:52 am 

Another "UFO" Unidentified Found Object for the forum. Last February I visited Nepal and in a shop for ethnic art I found a cap which interested me immediately. The shop owner told me that it was a cap from the Rana period. It needed a lot of restoration work (which you can see on the picture) but the price was good and I took it with me.
Hight: 34 cm and width 18 cm. The cap has got a lot of gold brocade work, with spangles and pearls, on the top is a kind of crown with three precious stones at the front and three at the back. I had to put new stones in because beside one all the stones were lost. I bought zirconia’s in Kathmandu. The cap has got small laps on the ears and three extra decorations with precious stones at the front. On the pictures you can see that the back is very interesting. There is one heart shaped precious stone at the backside.
Who can help me identify this “UFO “ Thank you!!!!

Attachments:
File comment: Rana cap
Rana01.jpg
Rana01.jpg [ 56.82 KiB | Viewed 3199 times ]
File comment: Rana cap - detail
Rana02.jpg
Rana02.jpg [ 56.08 KiB | Viewed 3199 times ]
File comment: view from the side
DSCN17295x7.jpg
DSCN17295x7.jpg [ 55.97 KiB | Viewed 3204 times ]

Post subject: a costume crown?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:15 pm 

Hi Monique,

This is a very interesting "hat". However, my first thought is that it is part of a traditional dancer's costume. The Rana period wasn't so long ago (late 19th-early 20th century), so dancers outfits would still be around. It is certainly reminiscent of the hats (or crowns) still worn during performances of the Ramayana, and other classical dances in Thailand. It may be Newari rather than Indo-Aryan, but Nepal is close enough to Northern India to be part of the same cultural continuum.

Did you see any other textiles where you bought the hat? Like maybe monkey costumes?

Anyway, my guess is probably Nepalese, or geographically and culturally close, and most certainly part of a costume, rather than an authentic hat (or crown), meant for everyday wear.

Welcome to the Forum; hats are certainly great items to focus on. I hope my comments may be of help.

Sandie