tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 pm 

Hi All;
It has been awhile since I have had anything to share, Denver is rather a desert for textiles; at least the way I hunt for them. I picked this up a couple weeks ago and I believe it to be a Selimut (wrapper) from West Timor, possibly Beboki state or per MAC's suggestion, Manulea. circa 1930-1970. I base it on an entry from the Textile Museum of Canada id.# T87.0290. It's 77" (195.5cm) by 112" (266.7cm) not counting 3" fringe on each end. It also has a partially torn sticky tag that says 'Taman Batik' "Terang B... Yogyakarta' which has no bearing on the textile but was just an interesting anomoly. :)
As always I love to see any comments or additions you may have. Happy belated New Year

Warren

p.s. sorry for the halo in the second pic

Attachments:
Pic0.jpg
Pic0.jpg [ 256.53 KiB | Viewed 4367 times ]
Pic1 (640x480).jpg
Pic1 (640x480).jpg [ 316.17 KiB | Viewed 4367 times ]
File comment: Detail1
Pic2 (800x600).jpg
Pic2 (800x600).jpg [ 376.23 KiB | Viewed 4367 times ]
File comment: Detail 2
Pic4(600x800).jpg
Pic4(600x800).jpg [ 499.35 KiB | Viewed 4367 times ]
File comment: Detail 3
Pic5.jpg
Pic5.jpg [ 353.29 KiB | Viewed 4367 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:16 am 

hi WWads,
This is a very late response to your posting.
I suggest that you have a look at the link IKAT FLORES?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2352
I think that this will answer your query.
It is not a Biboke piece.
Blessings Julie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm 

Hi Julie;

Thanks for you kind response and the reference to the earlier post. It could be that you are correct as this textile is a single panel, however it also appears that several the Selimuts in the Museum of Canada's collection are also large single panels. I confess that my knowledge is too limited and the exposure I get through the public library here in Denver is also limited. Does anyone know if a Selimut is generally two or more panels? Of course my preference would be to have a Beboki Selimut but alas I have no control over that. At the end of the day it doesn't matter either way as I get enjoyment from the textile just as it is. Again, Thanks for your reply. Cheers :)

Best Regards;

Warren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:17 am 

Warren, If your textile is 195.5 cen. wide and only one panel then it must have been woven on a more modern frame loom and not a backstrap loom. On a backstrap loom the width of a textile panel is limited by the reach of the weaver and usually averages from 50 to 80 cen. As your cloth is almost 2 meters wide I would guess it was produced in the Jepara area of Northeast Java and not on the island of Timor.

Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:19 pm 

Hi Mac;

Happy New Year to you! Thanks for the follow up, after Julie's reply I was pretty much persuaded that it must be newer, but I still like it and will enjoy it for it's appeal. I've got some new things but I've yet to be able to research them (so I don't appear totally a bumbler, even though I am). I hope the new year finds both you and your family well. I'll try to follow up with a post in the near future. Be well!

Best Regards;

Warren