tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Any shopping tips?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 pm 

I am traveling to Rajasthan India at the end of November to look for tribal textiles. Has anyone come across any interesting regions to explore? Any advice on what to avoid and where to go?

Thanks for any help!
Coco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:53 am 

Hi:
I was in some obscure parts of Rajasthan in February. Udaipur has a number of dealers with small shop "fronts" on the mainstreet which lead into havelis filled with textiles. The material is stocked floor to ceiling and is a mix of new, cut-ups of old embroidery and old things. This is, I think, where those horrible cut up mirror work tapestries come from.

The one shop that I went into was owned/managed by one of those nasty / greedy types, because when I asked him about a Gujurati beadwork pillow, I got an insane price and fictitious dating. When I questioned this, he got very nasty. I just wanted out.

I am sure that Jaipur has some dealers - and that they are not cheap.

Overall, I am not aware of much in Rajasthan - or anywhere in India, for that matter. I've been there a number of times over the years and it is very hard to find dealers. There's one, in New Delhi, who just joined this forum - look on the "for sale" page.

If you're interested in high quality NEW Gujurati material, see if Shrujan.org is having a traveling sale that you could go to. They have a shop in Mumbai. They are an NGO and have 3500 women embroidering - very affordable and wonderful.

I hope this helps.

Post subject: shopping tips
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:36 pm 

Thank you Anna!

I will certainly keep all that information in mind when I go exploring. It's really difficult now to find reliable sources. I am going to Rajasthan mainly for gemstones for my jewelry business but it'll be fun to combine the two.

Happy Holidays!

Coco
http://ThreadsofOld.etsy.com
http://cocosjewelry.etsy.com

Post subject: Re: Any shopping tips?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 am 

Yes you are right Rajasthan is the state of different tribal clothing designs. you can get different designs and different varieties of tribal clothing at Sirohi District. There are a great number of tribal clothing available to purchase.