tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: INDONESIAN IKAT WRAP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:00 pm 

Hi Peter Mac Siriol and Pamela,
Love this lively and still recent discussion of West Timor Textiles.
Well summed up.
Very special indeed and Peter still very much alive although you are right competition for the glamorous stakes is strong from the motorcycles however thankfully there is only a few banshees (transvestites) weaving and most of the older men and more traditional younger boys find beti naek much more comfortable than trousers...thank goodness. And parties weddings and funerals are still the time to show off how clever your wife is at weaving whilst honoring your clan and ancestors.

Attachments:
W1297.jpg
W1297.jpg [ 110.6 KiB | Viewed 929 times ]

Post subject: Re: INDONESIAN IKAT WRAP
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:34 pm 

The tais above is from my personal collection. It is a half a tais or womens sarong with both buna and Ikat techniques used to create this beauty. The ikat is a 3 colour KAIF ANA or small hook and rhomba motif and the buna warp wrap (thanks Mac) is a tight depiction of the same motif in which each hook tells of a member of the weavers clan and each dot represents a totemic guardian spirit of the suku or family. This textile is from the SoE region although the specific kampong is unknown to me.
I kept it for its intricacy its beauty and because the rats had had a nibble....and I love it no matter. I wore it on Saturday at a Sari and Sarong party and a month ago at a University luncheon to honour the participants in a High Schools/University collaboration Learning Indonesian Language course in 2012 at the University of the Sunshine Coast.