tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help In Textile ID
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:54 pm 

This is my first post. As an avid collector/exhibitor of tribal objects and textiles, I can't believe I didn't know of this site!

I need some help in identifying some textiles that are outside my realm. These were collected by and are from the estate of the late Jane Morris, a well respected Instructor with the Ichyo School of Ikebana; she taught classes and and exhibited all over the world.

I assume that the silk pieces are from China, but have no clue as to where the large, extra weft piece is from. Any help on ID'ing and describing these will be appreciated!

'Looking forward to being a contributing member of this community!

chasbosc

Attachments:
IMG_3364.JPG
IMG_3364.JPG [ 64.03 KiB | Viewed 5589 times ]
IMG_3363.JPG
IMG_3363.JPG [ 69.11 KiB | Viewed 5589 times ]
IMG_3361.JPG
IMG_3361.JPG [ 70.41 KiB | Viewed 5589 times ]
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG [ 48.61 KiB | Viewed 5589 times ]

Also Tribal Philippine Textiles, Adornment & Basketry, with an Emphasis on Igorot Cultures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm 

Hello Chasbosc,
actually I am also quite new to this forum and I just about read your interest of 'Igorot' textiles n baskets n adornments. I am also a vivid collector of those (Ifugao, Bontoc, Kalinga, Gaddang Ilongot).

About your textiles; though they are not my 'speciality' those shirts do have a mask on them that make me think of those masks of Bali (you know those scary ones with protuding eyes and teeth of wood).
I know there is are many chinese on Bali; so these could be of Balinese-chinese origin.

The toptextiles are surely of chinese origin. But of what specific group or area in China we would have to wait for other members to shed their light on them. The last textile is quite different and I would look in the direction of Thailand/Laos etc.

As soon as I've figured out the 'downsizing of my pics (etc) I shall post pics of my collection.

Greets Wouter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi chasbosc and welcome to the forum!

My first thoughts about the two charming framed babies' clothing pieces are that they are Chinese and probably Han Chinese i.e. the majority inhabitants of mainland China. The protective decoration of babies'/children's clothing is very much part of the Han Chinese tradition. It is possible that one or other piece might be those of a minority group influenced by the Han tradition.

I am afraid that I have no contribution to make about the large framed textile. These strong geometric designs do not 'talk' to me of a particular origin and the glass is a real killer for textiles. It may protect them from dust but it also takes away their life and charm.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm 

Hello Pamela!

Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to sharing with like minds!

Charlie Lovely

Also Tribal Philippine Textiles, Adornment & Basketry, with an Emphasis on Igorot Cultures

Post subject: Identification
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:55 am 

Hi sir/mam chasbosc,

i'm a new member here and have come across your post... I'm an avid collector of pieces from the Philippines, where i am currently residing... as for the ID of the last piece of textile, i can say with all certainty that it is from the YAKAN of basilan... the particular design is called Kaban-Buddi which i did acquire and made into a vest... have a picture of me wearing the vest at my fb account, do add me up, my fb name is Baylan Haraya... hope this help!

here is a link of the pattern similar to yours

[I have attached the very long URL which was distorting the forum page into a URL associated with the word 'link' which now leads to it. However, I note that the link goes to a 'redirect' page which has two links on it and only one - the top one - of them seems to work. I can't work out the second one to find the error as to why it does not work, sorry! Admin]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm 

My dear Baylan!

I’d long ago given up any hope of getting an ID on that textile and would have never guessed Philippine or ever made the connection to the Yakan; but the patterning in your reference is a dead ringer! So… many thanks and welcome to the forum!

Note: there are several links to image albums at the end of this. Feel free to skip over the diatribe and look at the pictures first!

A (brief?) background: For the past 15 years or so I’ve done my best to limit my collecting to ‘Indigenous Fiber Objects From Melanesia’, with the objective of mounting an educational exhibition; but there have been many segues within that path and one major one outside. Some close friends of mine lived on Luzon for most of the 70’s and during their residence, they accrued a large and impressive basketry collection. About 12 years ago, they gave me a few of the pieces I’d admired and that started the ball rolling. I quickly became enamored with the intensity the tribal traditions of the Cordillera, and what started with baskets soon became a passionate study that waxed to textiles and adornment; mostly because of the relationship I developed with a wonderful man who shared my passion and was able to supply me with documented pieces at prices at prices I could afford. Many of those came directly from Ramon Villegas & Pynky Gomez, and they were always accompanied with collection history and/or poignant verbiage. That relationship also included a brief segue into Southern Philippine textiles, virtually all of which came from Ramon Villegas, and included some incredible silk malongs/tube skirts (though nothing I can recall from the Yakan!)

Serious collecting of Philippine objects was short lived, but over the years I’ve used those pieces in numerous small exhibitions and talks, including ‘Textile Appreciation Mornings’ at The Textile Museum. In 2010 I was offered an amazing collection of baskets that were personally collected by a woman named Jane Morris, who worked and lived among the various hill tribes during the 60’s - 80’s. I never thought I’d see baskets of this quality; many of these are what I’d describe as heirloom pieces. They re-awakened my passion for the Philippines and in perhaps mounting a separate exhibition of just my Philippine holdings. To that end, I’ve been working on upgrading my images and have posted several of them to albums on Flickr

I’d like to share links to some of those albums with you, and anyone who’d care to have a look:

First, some images I recently posted showing a few of the Southern Philippine Textiles I have. These are mostly the pieces from Ramon, with their supplied verbiage, but there are several more (mostly abaca pieces and a few abaca looms).
http://flickr.com/gp/84014314@N07/8KCc7F/

Next will be Northern Philippines, starting a separate album with images of the majority of the Gaddang pieces I have:
http://flickr.com/gp/84014314@N07/n961Pg/

Northern Philippine Textiles and Adornment from various tribes. This is only a partial listing; so much more needs to be added!!
http://flickr.com/gp/84014314@N07/38D591/

Northern Philippine Baskets From the Jane Morris Estate. These images are only of about 2/3’s of the baskets I have that she collected, and don’t include any of my numerous other Philippine baskets. That needs to be a separate album!
http://flickr.com/gp/84014314@N07/0HZ728/

Thanks again for the ID; ‘hope this will open a dialogue!
More when I get some time

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Charlie

Thank you very much indeed for sharing the links to your superb collection(s)! Very fine quality and your very excellent photos really do the items justice. I love the almost 3-D quality of the images and the feeling of almost being able to touch the different constituent materials. That is just my first reaction to the visuals! I also appreciate all the time you have taken to document the items with as much knowledge as you have accumulated (or been able to get into print at this stage).

Compiled with true passion.....EXCELLENT!

This is a tremendous resource and clearly needs lots and lots of time to absorb.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource