tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:58 pm 

I mentioned in a previous posting that I had the pleasure and honor to meet Yushan Tasi who teaches at the Fu Jen Catholic University in Taipei (maybe New Taipei now?). She had published an incredible book in which she analyzed several Atayal weavings. Took her at least 2 years of intensive work. I was fortunate to receive a copy which just arrived. I acquired many books while lecturing in Taiwan and had them shipped to me.

Because the Atayal, like many of these peoples, are losing this art as the daughters go off for formal education and careers, Yushan dedicated herself to preserving as much of the actual weaving techinque as possible. She then wove from her own charts to see if they faithfully captured the information. It appears they did.

I am not a weaver but have much appreciation of them and this art.

It may be unusual for the forum but I am posiing several pictures from the book which others may find interesting, informative and know more about the amazing Yushan Tsai.

Attachments:
File comment: Textile Fabrics of Aboriginal Tribes in Taiwan.
book.JPG
book.JPG [ 70.56 KiB | Viewed 6481 times ]
File comment: One of the many "smaller" foldouts.
colorfoldout.JPG
colorfoldout.JPG [ 187.3 KiB | Viewed 6481 times ]
File comment: a large foldout from the book.
large foldout.JPG
large foldout.JPG [ 137.97 KiB | Viewed 6481 times ]

Last edited by john on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

I contacted Tsai yu shan to share John's post with her. In response she emailed to me three images linked to John's posting of "a large foldout from the book" which is based on her analysis of a Sedeq shawl at the Textile Art & Craft Museum of Taichung County Cultural Center in 2004.

Yu shan sent photos of the front and back of the sample which she wove from her analysis chart of the weave which John posted and a detail from this chart where we can see "a formidable structure" which she rates very hard to weave and she is amazed that it could be woven on a traditional back strap loom. There are double warps; the green warp is a plain weave and the "blue points" showing through make the pattern.

The more I see and learn of yu shan's detailed, patient and very fine work the more I am amazed by it and admire her - and also the original weavers. Thank you John for your post and thank you yu shan for both helping us to appreciate the incredible skills involved in the creation of such a textile and protecting the legacy of its creators.

Attachments:
File comment: detail of analysis chart of weave structure
img216w.jpg
img216w.jpg [ 98.71 KiB | Viewed 6440 times ]
File comment: front of sample
1310002209-1w.jpg
1310002209-1w.jpg [ 118.82 KiB | Viewed 6440 times ]
File comment: reverse of sample
1310002210w.jpg
1310002210w.jpg [ 115.28 KiB | Viewed 6440 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yu shan has sent me a couple of images of a weaving she made of a Saisiyat pattern from a garment in a private collection which she analysed. Apparently this has a very big fold-out weaving draft - a total of 28 pages! She says that she "consumed much time and energy in weaving this pattern in 2011". The first image is of the face of the textile in the loom - note part of the weaving draft laid out behind. The second is of the reverse of the textile which yu shan says has a very solid structure.

The amount of very patient work which yu shan does to understand and then reproduce these pattern pieces is amazing. It also hugely increases my respect for weaver of the original textile which was created without a detailed pattern chart to follow!

Attachments:
File comment: the Saisiyat sample in the loom showing the face of the textile with behind part of the pattern draft created by Tsia yu shan from her analysis of an original garment in a private collection
Saisiyat-f.jpg
Saisiyat-f.jpg [ 91.77 KiB | Viewed 6351 times ]
File comment: the reverse of the Saisiyat pattern woven by Tsai yu shan
Saisiyat-revw.jpg
Saisiyat-revw.jpg [ 93.78 KiB | Viewed 6351 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

You may have been intrigued (as I was) as to the identity of the private collector whose textile yu shan analysed resulting in the Saisiyat sample. I emailed her overnight to give her the link to the post above. This morning, without me asking, yu shan came back saying that she had forwarded my message:
Quote:
"...to the person (a Taiwanese collector Mr. Young) who provided some of collections to us (Research team of Kobe Design University, Japan) for taking photos, so I analyzed this pieces by looking photos. Mr. Young is the host of a Taiwan aboriginal folk arts house - Chang wha county, near Nantou - he told us, he bought those varied collections from an old Japanese collector."

Last edited by Pamela on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm 

The more I see of Yu Shan's work and the original textiles, the more amazed I am at their creativity.

Yu Shan's "reverse engineering" and the insights it provides on the original weavers is most praiseworthy. And it is accomplished without damaging the originals.

I note that the "reverse" sides of the textiles can be as attractive in their own way as the "correct" sides. Not unlike some of the pilih weavings of the Iban people of Borneo.