tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 am 

Here are a couple of photos of a textile displayed in the Indonesian National Museum in Jakarta. It is labelled as being "from Kalimantan", but the designs don't look like anything I have seen from that region. They do look a bit like designs from islands in the far eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago ... but then again the shape and format and color are strange ... has anyone seen its twin anywhere?

Attachments:
File comment: one end of the textile
INM20589-01.jpg
INM20589-01.jpg [ 108 KiB | Viewed 3934 times ]
File comment: center part of the textile
INM20589-02.jpg
INM20589-02.jpg [ 105.28 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

no, I can't identify it but I agree with you about eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago - for me overtones of images I might find in Sumban textiles but the layout does not seem to match.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:59 am 

I don't know either, but find the triangular forms with the verticals similar to some motifs used in Sumba: the points resemble 'mamuli' (the diamond-shaped symbol for female genitalia), but the assemblage is also reminiscent of their 'skull tree'. The ikat does seem rather crude, and one doesn't often see only one color used. The smidgeon of textile above it in the photo could to be from Sumba... no?

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 am 

Chris, The figures with the large hands and birds (cocks?) with the large tails look as if they could be from Kisar or a neighboring island. It does seem to have a skull tree motif often found on Sumba and the eight pointed star motif in the center is found on textiles from Lembata, Pantar and Alor. Old textiles from these islands usually have both indigo and morinda dyes however and the colors are deep and rich.

Perhaps this could be a newer production from Kisar, Alor or even Sumba. They seem to have been making textiles for export over the last ten or twenty years. The color is weak and the ikat rather rough. Perhaps it was made to sell to tourists in Bali as a commercial cloth in an effort to keep textile production alive out in the eastern islands.

Was there a collection date or other info about the textile? I agree that it doesn't look as though it is from Kalimantan. MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:10 am 

Thanks for your comments, MAC, Susan and Pamela

I think you might all be right in saying this is from Sumba. I am looking at the fringes again and I think that fits. Also MAC is right that the piece above it is from Sumba (and labelled as such).

From my notes, the caption in the museum reads:
"Dayak, Kalimantan, human figures (ancestors) ... chicken is an an ancestral spirit guide, living tree symbolizes eternal life, the hook, in the abstract form of a bird, symbolizes the world of humans. The cloth is used in traditional ceremonies".
Inventory # 20589
(no accession date given ... though that could mean 20-5-1989?)

I was quite intrigued when I first saw it, but I concur with the view that this may be a piece of imaginative recent work. Which still begs the question of why...!

Post subject: Mystery Textile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm 

I agree with MAC. The border pattern with the big hand figures on horse back are classic Kisar patterns. The motifs in the center look like skull trees from Sumba Island. Unless there is some interesting back ground story to mix the two patterns, this is likely a relatively modern cloth, decorated with a mish-mash of motifs, made for resale.

It is definitely not from Kalimantan.

http://www.markajohnson.com
Mark A. Johnson Tribal Art