tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:43 pm 

This is a natural dyed, cotton Pua from the Saribas area of Borneo. "Pua Kumbu, Divided Pattern (bali belumpong)" distinctive for the unpatterned gap in the center. I've been told that this signifies the gate between the upper and under -world. According to Gavins book, one of the higher ranked textiles of this group of Ibans. The size is approximately 198 cm x 99 cm. The weave is very fine and lighter than most of the other Iban groups. It dates to the early 20th century. I am seeking more information on these textiles in general and also help with identifiying the specific pattern. Any help will be appreciated. I also have a few others in my collection that I will post if interested.

Best,
Richard

Attachments:
91_3_1_.jpg
91_3_1_.jpg [ 40.84 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]
b3_3_1_.jpg
b3_3_1_.jpg [ 59.35 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]
a9_3_1_.jpg
a9_3_1_.jpg [ 63.04 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]
aa_3_1_.jpg
aa_3_1_.jpg [ 68.72 KiB | Viewed 4779 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

A nice pua Richard. I like the figures with faces in b3. I am not an expert on pua although I have some literature and one of my own. I love the subtle and mellow colours and the results of fine tieing of the resists.

I am not sure on the expertise of current forum members on Iban textiles but, in time, the search engines may pick up the post and you might get a comment. It might attract a comment from a closet collector of Iban textiles who has been waiting for the post of just such a piece!

Good to give more breadth to the posts. Thanks.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:06 am 

There is an excellent book on this subject: The Women's Warpath; Iban Ritual Fabrics From Borneo, by Traude Gavin, 1996 for an exhibition at the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History. It even discusses the influence of Indian patola textiles on Iban pua! Beautiful photos also.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject: your Saribas pua.
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:54 pm 

Hello Richard.

You mentioned that you have other pua in your collection. I for one would be very interested in seeing them if you felt like posting them.

By now there are several books about Iban textiles. Edric Ong of Kuching has published two of them - "Woven Dreams" is one and I can't think of the other - maybe just "Pua". And of course Margaret Linggi's book as well as Traude Gavin's. I hope we have others in the future.

I took a couple of videos with my digital camera of the women weaving at the Tun Jugah Gallery in Kuching but they are too big to post I think.

-John

Post subject: another book
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I was just looking through my library and came across: "Iban or sea Dayak fabrics and their patterns" by A.C. Haddon & L.E. Start. The volume was originally published in 1936 by Cambridge University Press but republished in 1982 by Ruth Bean Publishers (in the UK) but distributed in USA & Canada by Robin & Russ Handweavers. This is a 'descriptive catalogue of the Iban fabrics in the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology Cambridge'. Quite a lot of black & white photos, also line drawings of motifs and detailed description of textiles in the Museum. Worth searching out I think.

I have, at long last, found my copy of one of Edric Ong's books (it had been hiding amongst some guide books and I have been hunting for it for ages!) and, John, it is the second one you mention 'Pua: Iban Weavings of Sarawak'. It has not only pua but also bidang, kelambi and sirat - all with helpful text.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource