tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:04 am 

Hi all,

Sorry for my long absence from the forum. This style of thread book with the beautiful coloured designs I believe to be from the Dong people in Liping County, Qiandongnan. Within the Dong area of southern Guizhou are the "Grass Miao". They actually speak a variant of northern Dong language, dissimilar to their southern Dong neighbors, thus they are locally called Miao. I mention this fact because it is likely that both Dong and Miao people in southern Qiandongnan used these books in the past. There is plentiful evidence of cultural exchange in costume design and decorative motifs.

Perhaps Pamela can coax more information from Ruth Smith about her findings.

Steven

Post subject: My own booklet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 pm 

Hello, I found tribal textiles trying to research my own booklet, which I've had since I was a child. I've posted it at www.tootasinfoot.blogspot.com , it seems different from these ones, it's varnished and has tab closures. I've re-posted some images from this forum (with link and credit of course), please let me know if this is not ok and I will take them down.
Very happy to find this brilliant resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jo

Your post and my email to you have just crossed! You are welcome to use the pics from the forum on your blog - thanks for asking and for your nice comments. If you don't mind I am going to post three of your photos here from your blog post http://www.tootasinfoot.blogspot.com/20 ... -book.html where I think they are different from the ones I have been privileged to see to date. I hope that you are happy for them to appear here directly.

I love adding to the resource for us all to share!

Best,

Attachments:
P1304930w.jpg
P1304930w.jpg [ 52.56 KiB | Viewed 3028 times ]
P1304931w.jpg
P1304931w.jpg [ 51.26 KiB | Viewed 3028 times ]
P1304935w.jpg
P1304935w.jpg [ 52.38 KiB | Viewed 3028 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

As I thought that this thread booklet had some interesting differences to ones that I had seen before I contacted Ruth Smith (who has researched this thread booklets over the last few years, created a couple of work booklets on them, may publish a couple more and also offers workshops in their creation) and Martin Conlan of 'Slow Loris' who has been collecting them for quite a long time on his various trips to China and offering them for the delectation and sometimes sale to his friends and customers.

Ruth got back to me and is happy that I share her comments:
Quote:
"Thank you for contacting me with details of Joanna Waterhouse’s thread book.
It is very similar to the few examples I have seen and which we believe come from northern China.

I have worked out the folding sequence to achieve the pattern in this type.
It is produced purely with folding and is quite an intricate process – at least it was to work out!
Twenty four folds are required to produce a complete pocket. I love making them as they make delightful gift boxes and can be made in different sizes."

Martin kindly responded:
Quote:
"A very interesting booklet-I've not seen one like it before. If Joanna was given it as a child it might well be older than she thinks.

The illustrations, the method of binding, and the designs are all different from others I have seen.
It does look as though lacquer is used covering the illustrations. It has an unusual combination of 4 small and one large folded pocket on each page.

I think the stripy woven cloth might well be the way of identifying it's provenance." [see photo of this fabric on Jo's blog]

The fact that Martin has not seen one like it before would fit with Ruth's comment that it might come from northern China since Martin travels to the south west where his contacts - alerted to his strange fixation with the thread booklets - are located.

Great to see this thread 'enlivened'! Thank you Jo for finding us and sharing info on your thread booklet. To me it has been fascinating to find out how very widely these thread booklets were used in China which has only come to light with our increasing interest in them and some persistent searching and researching. A whole ephemeral genre captured just as they were pretty much disappearing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Admin

In a few days I will be posting on the book thread information on a new book that I have been eagerly awaiting for some years since first talking to Ruth Smith about the thread booklets. A couple of days ago I received a review copy of the book but have been too busy in Christmas preparation to be able to do more than flick through it - couldn't resist doing that!

For now the book is "A Little Known Chinese Folk Art: Zhen Xian Bao" by Ruth Smith & Gina Corrigan (who previously collaborated on 'Miao Embroidery From South West China' and 'Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China' for which there are information posts on the books section of the forum). When the review post of the new book is live (including information on purchasing the book) I will let you know on this thread. For now I am looking forward to my Christmas reading.........!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

The review of "A Little Known Chinese Folk Art: Zhen Xian Bao" by Ruth Smith & Gina Corrigan is now live on the Books section of the forum at: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=2360