tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New member in the forum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:45 pm 

Hello,
I just joined the forum. I am interested in textiles from the chinese minorities from the southwest. I learnd first about these textiles at a "natural dying" cours in Sweden. It was a revelation and I have read as much as I could on the subject. I hoped to travel to China to take en embroidery cours in Kaili but that didn.t work but by a curios conincidence, I have bought a rather large collection of costumes, textiles and related objects from a french dealer and am now studying and registering the collection. The more I see and learn, the more I am facinated by the extraordinary quality of the textile work of these minorities.
I am specialy interested in the "tchnical" aspect of their art : weaving, dying, embroidery etc. I am trained as a conservator-restorer and that is probably why I have to understand how things are made. I hope to be able to travel to the area next year.
I think your discussions are very interesting and am looking forward to learn alot from you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cecile

You are very welcome to the forum!

There are several members with an interest in the textiles of the S W China minorities (and one or two 'friends' of the forum as well!)

Yes, I know that there is quite a bit of interest and some good collections in France for the textiles of this area.

I too am interested as you are in the technical side as I came to collecting from the viewpoint of a maker and occasional dabbler in different techniques. That is why I love to see photos of people actually creating the costume and also, when I see something special, my thought is for the person who made it.

Several of us not only collect the textiles but we also compulsively collect books on the minorities and their textiles - for us very, very important for appreciating and learning about our collections.

We look forward to sharing and learning with you.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: miao textiles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm 

Mr Boudot Eric is a very educated textile expert for some minority of south China. He lives since many years in China.