tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm 

We aquired this textile recently which has added to our collection of rangrang, but this piece is espcially interesting so I wanted to share it with you. R Maxwell writes in the Textiles of Southeast Asia, pg. 296 "balinese weavers create an open weave lace-like cotton fabric, predominately worn as a breastcloth at temple ceremonies, from a combination of spaced warps and slit-tapestry wefts....." this cloth is known as bolongbolong or a rangrang, depending where it was made on Bali. This piece has been labelled Tabanan or Mengwi.
We have never seen a rangrang with the 'wayang figures' down each side panel of the cloth, I am hoping someone in the forum might have seen another such as this one.

Lesley

Attachments:
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C  -  (3).jpg
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C - (3).jpg [ 72.44 KiB | Viewed 8956 times ]
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C  -  (2).JPG
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C - (2).JPG [ 99.48 KiB | Viewed 8956 times ]
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C  -  (1).JPG
Bolong bolong Tabanan-Mengwi Early 20th C - (1).JPG [ 117.61 KiB | Viewed 8956 times ]

Post subject: Ranran
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 pm 

Dear Lesley,

I have a large Balinese ranran with similar wayang figures in my collection. You can have a look to the picture there under. Unfortunately it is not a good one because the textile was folded when photographied for my archives. I will add soon better pictures. My textile is 100% in handspun cotton with natural dyes. I bought it in the 1990's in Bali. I need to know the dimensions of your textiles. Note that there is an important paper by Mrs Nabholz-Kartaschoff on this technique in Bali.

Best regards.

Georges Breguet

Attachments:
File comment: Ranran with wayang figures.
BALI-2-017 close-up.jpg
BALI-2-017 close-up.jpg [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 8878 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm 

TEXTILE SOCIETY OF AMERICA, ed.
Contact, crossover, continuity. Proceedings of the fourth biennial symposium of the Textile Society of America, Inc. Los Angeles, California 1994.
[CSROT 4684].
- [Los Angeles?]: Textile Society of America, 1995.
- 368p. 21.5 x 28. Paper. Numerous BW + Line ill.

NABHOLZ-KARTASCHOFF, Marie-Louise; Monika PALM-NADOLNY. Bolong-Bolong and Tirtanadi: An unknown group of Balinese textiles. Pp93-104

Post subject: Rangrang
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:38 pm 

Dear George
How great to hear from a fellow collector of Balinese textiles. My piece is measured 71cm x 178cm, is dyed with natural dyes and made in handspun cotton and is very soft from age.
It would be great to see a better image of your piece.
Thank you for the information on the Nabholz-Kartaschoff article, I did not know about it but will look out for it.
regards
Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately the printed proceedings of the Fourth Biennial Symposium of the Textile Society of America (TSA) which includes this paper is now out of print (according to the TSA website http://textilesociety.org/symposia_1994.htm )

Contact, Crossover, Continuity

1994 Proceedings:
Contact, Crossover, Continuity (OUT-OF-PRINT)

Fourth Biennial Symposium, September 22-24, 1994. UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History, Los Angeles, California

the extract detailing the paper:

Quote:
Foreign Contact in the Pacific Rim

The Conversion of Chinese Court Robes into Japanese Festival Hangings. - Gloria Granz Gonick
Micronesian Textiles in Transition: The Woven Tol of Kosrae. - Ann Deegan and Ross Cordy
Bolong-Bolong and Tirtanadi: An Unknown Group of Balinese Textiles. - Marie-Louise Nabholz-Kartaschoff and Monika Palm-Nadolny
Green Labels with Golden Elephants: Western European Printed Cottons for Malaysia and Indonesia. - Frieda Sorber

Some more details here http://www.egressfoundation.net/bth.php?id=8125 Lesley, might SOAS be able to access a copy???

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 am 

I just bought a used copy of this book on Amazon.com for $4.98. They had a number of copies for sale starting at about $5.00.

Thanks for posting the Balinese textiles, They are very nice and interesting. I have seen similar textiles with this type of open weave but they were longer, narrower and didn't have the lovely wayan figures. Would love to see more Balinese textiles on this thread.

Best regards, MAC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:55 pm 

Hi everyone,

I recently googled "titranadi textiles" and came across this old thread. Trust it's not too late to add to it.

This is a cloth I have with what I assume is a depiction of Dewi Sri. Dimensions are 242 x 54 cm. Also an illustration of a cloth with wayang figures from the book "Bunga Rampai: Wastra Bali".

MAC - does the "Bolong-Bolong and Tirtanadi" article illustrate any cloth with the wayang or Dewi Sri figures and does it indicate their ritual usage and when they date from?

Best,

Jungleboy

Attachments:
Tirtanadi_detail.jpg
Tirtanadi_detail.jpg [ 300.81 KiB | Viewed 6982 times ]
Tirtanadi_full_242x54cm.jpg
Tirtanadi_full_242x54cm.jpg [ 146.51 KiB | Viewed 6982 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:57 pm 

the cloth in the book

Attachments:
tirtanadi_book.jpg
tirtanadi_book.jpg [ 112.64 KiB | Viewed 6982 times ]
tirtanadi_book2.jpg
tirtanadi_book2.jpg [ 31.66 KiB | Viewed 6982 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jungle boy

You are certainly not too late to add to this thread. I always say that, although an answer may be forthcoming immediately, wait and, with luck, someone may see the post and eventually post! The whole point of the forum is that information can be built up over time.

I decided to have another hunt for the papers from the TSA fourth biennial symposium which Georges Breguet mentioned above. There still seem to be copies available on the Amazon.com website - but at higher prices than MAC paid in Dec 2011!! See http://www.amazon.com/Crossover-Continu ... 096451060X

These textiles certainly have a special charm.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:37 pm 

Jungleboy,

It has been a few years since I bought this book and it is now packed away in one of my boxes of books and I am not sure which. Will have a look for it when there is time. I have seen a number of these textiles for sale recently. They were cotton, said to be from Tabanan and collected in the late 70s or early 80s. I would guess they were woven in the 50s or 60s. Early 20th C. pieces seem to be wider, 70 cen., and perhaps shorter than later pieces. I would say yours depicts Dewi Sri the goddess of rice and fertility and temple motifs. As these were rather sacred textiles I would think they could be used as temple hangings, wraps for temple figures, as a pillow for tooth filing ceremonies or as a protective cover for the person having their teeth filed. Lesley quotes Maxwell as saying they were used as a breast cloth at temple ceremonies. Her piece can also be seen at the auction site where it was sold.http://www.klefisch.com/index.php?page_ ... 840&lng=en and is described as early 20th C. but no info on use is given. As your piece is longer, narrower and has less intricate central motifs I would guess it is post WW ll. The Dewi Sri figures are very nice.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm 

MAC,

Thanks very much for that. I wonder if the use of wayang and Dewi Sri figures began in the 20th century - and, if so, why? Perhaps changing fashion - but then if these are sacred textiles there's usually a conservative impulse to keep them unchanged.

Rgds,

Jungleboy