tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Chris

I think this rug is stunning. As you say, 'strong' and would take some living with. However, in the right situation the whole room would really sing. Fun designing around it.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 am 

I love Chris' rug, or what I can see of it - very artful and modern!

I resurrect this thread to add a little bit of new Lawa information- unfortunately, no loom photos, as they were not weaving... again! I think I will have to go to their village to see weaving, but even then it might not be possible, as others here who have visited multiple times say they can never seem to catch them at it.

What I did see was the frame they use to tie their warp threads for the ikat designs on their skirts, and it's verrry interesting. I have pieced together three photos to get the entire frame, so there is some disjointedness in the background, but the entire thing is about 10 feet tall or more. I suspect they position the frame horizontally to tie the threads, but this was just a static display, so I didn't see them using it.

I did purchase a woven skirtcloth that had not been cut and seamed, and it is about 10 feet long. A Lawa lady is holding it in the last photo. (Note that her blue 'sleeves' are actually removable arm covers that they wear when it's cool. They also have leg covers. All are held on by brass bands or sometimes lacquered rings.) I also noticed that the local pronunciation of "Lawa" is more like "L'wa", with the first vowel almost swallowed- it is not really an 'a' sound, more like 'uh', with both syllables pronounced distinctly. These people are fairly small in numbers in Thailand- around 17,000 and live in remote villages, thereby maintaining their culture. I do find some aspects of their costume similar to that of their neighbors, the Karen: they wear simply-made tunics as tops; wear similar earplugs, sometimes with necklace beads attached; and their skirts have warp ikat bands alternating with stripes and simple ikat bands. As for a linkage to the Wa in Burma and China (as suggested in another post) ... I don't know, and will leave that question to the anthropologists.

Attachments:
File comment: The entire stand for tying the warp threads
Forum2-Lawa ikat tying stand.jpg
Forum2-Lawa ikat tying stand.jpg [ 64.69 KiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Close-up of tied threads
Forum2-Detail Ikat tied design.jpg
Forum2-Detail Ikat tied design.jpg [ 55.01 KiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Lawa lady
Forum-'Pleun'.jpg
Forum-'Pleun'.jpg [ 117.59 KiB | Viewed 1221 times ]

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/