tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 am 

Here's a question for any rug experts out there...

Picked these up in Lijiang a couple of years ago and just unpacked them. They smell of smoke and something else - perhaps animal glue that may have been used to attach the cotton linings. The Naxi woman who sold them to me said they were from Tibet, but I've not found anything similar online, especially what look to be fire hands around the central designs. Then again, Tibetan designs do seem to vary quite a bit. They're small (about 60 x 80cm), maybe were sitting rugs?

They're going to have to be cleaned and mended before we can use them. Edges are a bit worn and the yellow one will need to be re-lined. The blue and red ones have some fraying at the center. Chris Buckley, a.k.a. "the Tibetan rug guy" in Beijing says most carpet-cleaning services aren't adequate to clean older rugs: http://www.toranahouse.com/antique%20ru ... rpets.html

Any ideas for cleaning and repairing these? Or seen these designs before? The vendor also had one more with a black background, but it was so worn I passed on it.

Currently I'm based in Bangkok but will move to Beijing next summer, and could wait until we move there to take care of this.

Attachments:
gold front-1.JPG
gold front-1.JPG [ 159.92 KiB | Viewed 4209 times ]
red front-1.JPG
red front-1.JPG [ 167.95 KiB | Viewed 4209 times ]
blue front-2.JPG
blue front-2.JPG [ 159.04 KiB | Viewed 4209 times ]