tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:46 am 

hey My name is Courtney, and i am 17 and live in Australia.
I have exams on at the moment, and studdying Society and Culture in Vietnam, and have to concentrate on a Group From that Country.
I cant seem to Find any infomation on the Group i have selected, which is The Hmong Groups, Eg Red, green and black..etc.
I am having abit of trouble understanding it azwell, If anyone would be able to help me with some infomation, or sites with the beliefs and Culture of them on it, i would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks heaps,
Court xxx

Post subject: resources
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:39 am 

Hi Courtney,

You can check out http://www.pbs.org/splithorn/hmong.html

for some general info, also,

http://www.hmong.org/displaycontent.asp?ID=17

(if you dont get this page, jsut go to www.hmong.org and then click on, "what is hmong?")

also, although it is a religious website, go to:

http://www.us.omf.org/content.asp?id=9237

for a more detailed description of Hmong lifestyle specifically in Vietnam.

best of luck to you,

Suzi

larvalform@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:38 pm 

Hi Courtney
There is another site which may be of interest to you which includes all 54 ethnic groups in Vietnam with a page on the Hmong. In this case you will find them under the name Mong. The page contains basic info and some photos showing traditional dress.
The site is:
http://www.undp.org.vn/projects/vie96010/cemma/54eg/

Post subject: different names
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:57 pm 

Hi Courtney,

You may be confused about the names the Hmong are called. Some different names and/or spellings for them, which doesn't include the various ethnyms for other groups are: Miao or Meo.

I don't know how long or detailed your project needs to be, but I would forget about trying to include all the groups, which are named either for geographical location and /or women's costumes. Men's clothing tends to be pretty uniform throughout the area.

If you live in Melbourne, you might check the Monash University library; my husband taught SEAsian languages there from 1991-1995, and ordered a number of books on SEAsians for the library.

Also, while we were there, the Museum of Victoria had an excellent exhibit of Hmong textiles, for which the Hmong are justly famous for. Unfortunately, I know nothing about resources in Sydney or elsewhere in Australia.

Good luck!

Sandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:22 am 

I wanna thank you all soo much for your help!
I have my Half Yearly HSC exams on at the moment, and i was stressing like hell because of my Society and Culture exam, but thanks to your help in site links, I learnt so much bout tha Hmongs.

Thank you all for going to the effort of the site links and Trying to help me az much as possible. And it realy did help!

Thankyou again, I really do Appreciate it!

Suzi- Thankyou soo much for those links, They really helped me alot!
Thankyou for going to the trouble, i found it sooooo useful!

Siriol- That link was Great!!..Thankyou soo much, I really appreciate your help, and thankyou for taking the time.

Sandie- You read my mind, I was soo confused about all the different names LOL, But With all those other links, I got to understanding their Group very well. I live in Sydney, But thankyou so much for your help, and for going to alot of trouble. For my HSC i will have to go even more indepth with my studdy in Hmongs so I might even use those resources..which you provided me with.Thankyou.

I just wanted to come back and say thankyou to all, and i really did appreciate all of your help!!!!

Court xxx