tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 pm 

Baku Horse Blanket circa 1880: 47 x 65. Part 1 of 3

In the hopes of perhaps seeing other's examples, I want to share one of my favorite pieces; an incredibly well drawn and finely woven sumack trapping that I've owned and exhibited for many years.
Element detail images to follow.

Note: as I'm limited to 5 images per post, the images will be in three separate posts

Attachments:
File comment: Full Front
Trapping HorseBl A01 sm.jpg
Trapping HorseBl A01 sm.jpg [ 64.88 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Full Back
Trapping HorseBl A02 sm.jpg
Trapping HorseBl A02 sm.jpg [ 64.83 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Left Lower Corner
Trapping HorseBl A14 sm.jpg
Trapping HorseBl A14 sm.jpg [ 64.67 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Left Middle Edge
Trapping HorseBl A15 sm.jpg
Trapping HorseBl A15 sm.jpg [ 63.91 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]
File comment: Top Right Flap
Trapping HorseBl A18 sm.jpg
Trapping HorseBl A18 sm.jpg [ 64.26 KiB | Viewed 3025 times ]

Also Tribal Philippine Textiles, Adornment & Basketry, with an Emphasis on Igorot Cultures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm 

That is STUNNING! Can you tell us more about it, please? What group is it from? The condition appears to be superb for its age. Is it all wool? Thanks much for sharing.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 am 

Hello Susan!

Thanks so much for your reply; and a special thanks for recognizing what an amazing example of type this price is.

Trappings are an especially engaging form of textile art. To me they are a sort of eye-candy. Their odd forms are an unexpected definition of their function; a function that is almost invariably celebrated with an aesthetic endowment. Forever true: form follows function. Trappings immediately catch your eye as something different. Whether a piece for a horse, a camel or a tent; they are always special because they celebrate their function. I will always argue; what greater human art form exists?

For me, this blanket is an nth degree expression of form and function. In the years of searching for this style of horse trapping, I’ve never seen its equal; but it does have issues. It has been repaired and some of the left flap has been restored. I’m not a condition freak. I always prefer to see the degradation from use; for me it adds value to a piece, because it shows the value of those who used it.

Regardless, the majority of this piece survived, even to the selvedge, and no one re-invented the drawing. Personally, of the thousands Caucasian sumack renderings I’ve seen, I’ve never seen a piece of this size that displays this degree of fineness this one displays. Despite a degree of intervention, it is a masterpiece. I wish you see and touch it as I have.

chasbosc

Also Tribal Philippine Textiles, Adornment & Basketry, with an Emphasis on Igorot Cultures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 am 

CONGRATULATIONS !

That is really an extraordinary piece: extremely fine, excellent colors.
I am no collector of such, but have probably seen more SW Asian textiles than most people here, with its generally more eastern Asian orientation.