tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:07 am 

Hi Everyone,

I have just listed a copy of Spiritual Fabric by Sadae Torimaru on ebay. This book was the result of 15 years research of Miao weaving techinques by the author. There are lots of photos of materials, processes, looms, knotting techniques, etc. This is an ideal book for those especially interested in the technical aspects of Miao textiles.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L.m315.lVI

Regards,
Steven

Attachments:
spirit.jpg
spirit.jpg [ 257.89 KiB | Viewed 8739 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Steven contacted me to say that he had posted the message re this book for sale on the books section but he was happy if I wanted to move it to the ...Shopping section of the forum.

I agree that to find it on ..Books is good but I don't want those whose postings I have moved to ...Shopping to be upset. I have, therefore, decided to leave a copy on ...Books but move it to ...Shopping! I hope that this compromise is acceptable to all! For those of you who get the daily Digest of posts you should have been alerted to Steven's post already and been able to go straight there. If your ISP allows forum emails (sorry AOL will not grrh...!) then the Digest sent daily (or even a weekly 'fix') is great to keep you in touch. To receive digests go to the last button in top row of the top right hand corner of the screen.

Well, was that a bit cheeky, to take advantage of Steven's post to "sell" the Digest feature of the forum?

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Spiritual Fabric
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:14 pm 

I have been searching for this out of print book and found a copy for $275 on Amazon. Does anyone know if that is a crazy price to be paying? I really want this book but am wondering what is the realistic price to shell out for it. I've contacted the publisher and it will not be reprinted in the foreseeable future.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Zee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Zee

An eye-watering price!

I remember that I was very disappointed to be out-bid for Steven's copy mentioned above on this thread. However, I did find a copy elsewhere and have been racking my brains (sadly a vacuum!) to remember how/where I got my copy.

I think that I may have found it at Chazen Museum of Art when I bought 'Writing with Thread' after despairing of getting WwT from University of Hawai'i Art Gallery. However, I have checked out the on-line shops at both institutions and no sign of 'Spiritual Fabric' although there is a space in the graphic line up of books at Chazen which could be where the book was listed.

It is a book based on meticulous research and with excellent photos and fantastically clear and detailed diagrams - as only the Japanese seem able to produce. Your post has made me get out my copy and realise what a very excellent resource it is. (Sorry, I didn't mean to rub salt in your wound!)

Price. It depends how much and how urgently you want the book and is purely subjective! You might find another copy at a cheaper price if you are lucky but I am not sure where or when or, indeed, whether!

So, sorry, I am not being much help! Your post here might generate a copy or, perhaps, a 'signpost' to find one. I hope very much that you are lucky!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource