tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Miao Skirt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:59 am 

I post this for a fellow textile enthusiast and member of the forum - Leonore Blackwood. Regards, Iain Glad you said this, Iain, as I was worried that some nasty spammer had hijacked your identity, Pamela

I have a very old Miao skirt from Songtao up on Ebay at present. I bought this in l996 and it was the only one of its kind I ever saw for sale.I would be interested if any member has further information about this skirt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIAO-HMONG-WOMANS-ANTIQUE-SILK-COTTON-SKIRT-CHINA-/220683199678?pt=AU_Antique_Textiles_Linen&hash=item3361be64be

Best regards,
Lenore

Attachments:
130205111_oW.jpg
130205111_oW.jpg [ 72.67 KiB | Viewed 8032 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Ann Goodman has been in touch with me having see Lenore's skirt. Ann says:
Quote:
In response to Iain's post for his friend, I believe that the skirt she has posted on EBay is similar to the Miao skirt form Fenghuang County, Hunan, Late 19th Century, illustrated in the Writing With Threads catalog on p. 20 back and 140 front. I have a similar skirt in my collection, see attached
Best,
Ann

However, Ann sent me an additional comment saying that her skirt
Quote:
"is longer and much wider than the skirt described on EBay".

I am adding to this post the image of her skirt that Ann sent me.

Attachments:
File comment: Miao skirt form Fenghuang County in the collection of Ann Goodman
Miao-FenghuangW.jpg
Miao-FenghuangW.jpg [ 73.96 KiB | Viewed 8067 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

A detailed description of Ann Goodman's skirt which 'escaped' from her earlier email to me:
Quote:
"Fenghuang County Hunan Province or Songtag Guizhou 32” L x 200” W. End of 19th to early 20th century. The skirt consists of sixteen black cotton pinstripe panels 32” L X 6 _” W and sixteen terracotta silk pinstripe panels 32” L x 6 _” W. The silk panels are appliquéd onto terracotta handwoven cotton pinstripe plaid, beginning 6” below the waistband. The pinstripes are in terracotta, white and pale blue. Each panel is embroidered at the bottom with a central flower measuring ~ 3 _” H x 2 _” W, embroidered in Chinese style with blue white, yellow, brown, purple, magenta gold and pale green silk thread. Each flower is different. In each panel a stripe made of sixteen small embroidered decorations ascends for ~ 13”. The decorations of the terracotta silk panels are alternating white and yellow silk flowers with satin stitch embroidered petals. The embroidered stripes on the black pinstripe cotton panels are circles of magenta silk. The waist is bound in indigo-dyed cotton with a loop of lighter indigo-dyed blue cotton at each end, tied with of hand woven indigo blue and white tape . There is a small twisted cotton button and button hole at the bottom back of the skirt. There are several areas of insect or rodent damage on the back of the skirt, all of which have been mended in the past. This skirt is similar to that on p. 20 and140 of the Writing with Thread catalog and is labeled Miao Fenghuan County."

Post subject: Miao skirt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:59 am 

Hi Ann,
I think I lost my first post.
Really interesting to see your skirt. Iain said he had seen two examples, rather more worn than mine, in Taiwan.
Your skirt is certainly much richer looking and on examining mine I wonder if it might have once been longer and wider too. It could very well have been salvaged from a very worn larger skirt. It is unusually modest in size for a Miao adult's skirt.
Thank you for your reply.
Lenore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Leonore (and Ann)

Hope you don't mind but I have copied your image from the Ebay link and attached it to your first post. Makes the discussion and comparison with Ann's skirt much easier and turns this into a more informative thread for forum members.

It looks to me as if a bit of your skirt may have been removed from the bottom. The embroidered motifs look a little truncated although, comparing with Ann's, not a lot.

I wonder if your skirt is a child's skirt not an adult's? It does not seem in the photo as thickly pleated (or to provide such a big circumference) and it could explain the much shorter length. It might well have been made from an adult's skirt where the best parts were kept and recycled. The bottom edges of a skirt might well get worn. Children usually wore/wear miniature versions of adult clothing. It was also very much the custom to recycle good parts of used textiles especially where considerable labour had originally been put into creating the first textile item or the fabrics were precious/expensive.

My thanks to you both for this nice little 'exercise' to tease us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:29 am 

Hi Pamela and Ann,
Yes, I agree it could well have been made for a child from an adult's very worn skirt. I have seen many such adaptations over the years but didn't twig to it with this skirt, probably because the waist band is very large for a child and overlap wrapping would interfere with the hang of the skirt.

It would not have been cut from the bottom though as the original folding is all there. The double cloth folded at the bottom before embroidery added.

A number of the panels have joined pieces at the top which must have been done before recycled panels were stitched to new or adapted waistband. One of the two end panels was certainly once joined to another.

Lenore