tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 am 

Lovely photos! It's always a pleasure to see the people who use the textiles along with the pieces.

Re Kat max's query about the black and white door curtains: we have had several, which I'll show below. It is an interesting topic and I cannot find a single one shown in any of my resources either. I agree with Above the Fray that some of what may be thought to be curtains are a single panel of a two panel 'phaa tuum', which is often used as a body wrap, but can also double as a light blanket, or even a baby carrier. Most of the ones we have that seem to have been used as curtains have the top edge sewn as a tube, and the bottom border panel is cotton. As best as I can recall, the 'phaa tuums' we've had have all had silk bottom borders, or panels, and have silk warps throughout; often they are zone-dyed.

On the last two examples shown, note the use of a curious, stylized figure with a pointed head, called 'phii nyak'. This is a powerful protective motif and appropriate for use in a home to provide security for those inside. We do also see this motif on 'phaa tuums'.

Also, not all of these curtains are black on white, but some are dark blue on white. More recent ones have dayglo colors in the lower panel. For that reason, I think they are still being made and used.

Attachments:
File comment: From Muang Vaen
Mail-TAL398.jpg
Mail-TAL398.jpg [ 108.33 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]
Mail-TAL274.jpg
Mail-TAL274.jpg [ 83.54 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]
Mail-TAL267.jpg
Mail-TAL267.jpg [ 97.6 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]
Mail-TAL130.jpg
Mail-TAL130.jpg [ 74.11 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 pm 

FYI all - the second two photos we posted are the textiles modeled by their weavers, even the young woman/girl, taken in their village of Muang Vaen (and photographed by our then 13-year-old son!).

Susan - fantastic pieces, particularly the third with the giant spirits and the fourth with the siho pregnant with naga. I really love the third.

Re: the neon colors - yes, we have seen those also, mostly on the borders of shawls. Even villages that almost exclusively use natural dyes do sometimes use chemical dyes for those border sections of b/w textiles - bummer, but chemical dyes are raising their ugly heads even in major weaving villages of Houaphon, such as Muang Vaen. We haven't yet seen chemical dyes in any of the pieces from Nakham, Ban Naka, or Muang Sing though. In Xam Tai, they still appear to use exclusively natural dyes except in new polycotton door curtains and sinh borders.

Question: on the attached blanket/shawl photo, do you know if the figure is a crested giant spirit with naga arms, or is the whole thing a central almost-diamond-headed naga with two triangle-headed naga coming from it? I was told once that it is all naga, but that doesn't match the giant spirit style head I've seen in books. Anybody know? Also, we were told it was about 50 years old, but did not buy it from the weaver or the weaver's village, so we don't really know. Any thoughts? It is handspun cotton supplemental weft on dyed silk with a red zone dyed border of siho and hong (?). It definitely has gentle wear.

Attachments:
File comment: Zone-dyed border with two-headed siho and are they hong, elephant-birds, or naga-headed birds?
DSC02705.JPG
DSC02705.JPG [ 69.64 KiB | Viewed 5144 times ]
File comment: Are these giant spirits with naga-headed arms or are they almost-diamond-shaped naga with attached triangle-headed naga?
DSC02702.jpg
DSC02702.jpg [ 62.99 KiB | Viewed 5144 times ]
File comment: Handspun cotton supplemental weft on dyed silk blanket with zone dyed border.
DSC02701.jpg
DSC02701.jpg [ 77.76 KiB | Viewed 5144 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 am 

What a beautiful textile! That is what I would call a 'phaa tuum' and the motif is indeed a 'phii (or 'pii') nyak'. They are often formed by using 'nagas' (or 'ngueaks') as the arms. I don't know much about them, but will have more to report after a friend finishes giving her paper on this very subject at the upcoming Lao Studies Conference later this month. According to her abstract:

"Weavers believe the pii nyak to be an evil spirit living in the forest who will attack and eat strangers on their travels; they also believe that when tamed as a design within a textile this evil spirit can afford great protection to the wearer."

She goes on to say: "The image is clearly of great import, registering strong emotion when weavers and wearers encounter it in discussion."

Also, you're right about the fourth textile being not a 'phii nyak', but a pregnant 'siho'. I was in a hurry. :?

I will say that when it comes to interpreting the various motifs on Lao-Tai textiles, it is not always easy. Sometimes what appears to be a 'naga' is considered something else by the weaver, or has a different meaning than what another weaver may say. It can make one's head swim. That said, the 'phii nyak' motif is pretty obvious and most agree that it is a giant spirit known for its protective powers.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:28 am 

Here are some more of my textiles. These are all cotton pieces...door curtains. All of them have some domestic use and have stains or other small damage from their use.

Last edited by katmax1 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:31 am 

some more...

This one is very finely and very tightly woven. I understand the design is supposed to represent a fern. Unlike the other door coverings this one is woven in two pieces which have been sewn together.

detail of the above textile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am 

This one is what I was told is a story textile. It is double the size of the other textiles shown here. The top section is cotton and the bottom is woven in silk.

and this one is a modern textile in silk, woven in the south of Laos I was told in imitation of the northern textiles, which I thought some people here might find interesting.

Post subject: Incomplete Photos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:42 pm 

Dear Katmax1, I am just a beginner on the computer so I am only guessing and other members who are a whiz on the computer may be able to give better advice, but as none have I'll give it a go. We would love to see your textiles but it seems like some of your photos have been cut off before they had time to fully upload.

I wonder if you might be proceeding to the next photo too quickly? It takes a little time for the photos to upload and you may be cutting them off before they are finished. We seem to be getting just a tantalizing peek at your lovely textiles which is a shame as they are so beautiful!

If my guess is wrong maybe other members who know what they are doing on these darn computers could help! :?

Best regards, MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

MAC,

Katamax1 isn't attaching photos to the thread as most of us do but actually linking to images hosted somewhere else on the web. The problem you are experiencing seeing only part of the images may be something to do with internet speeds either with your ISP or at the website where the images are hosted.

Best

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Thanks Pamela
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm 

Thanks Pamela, It seems that I was the one scrolling too fast! I went back and started over and gave more time for the photos to download and was able to see all of the textiles. And they are lovely indeed!

Some of them downloaded fully and others did not. Sort of every other one. Why is that? So much to learn about using computers!+*!

Thanks again, MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:40 am 

Pamela wrote:
MAC,

Katamax1 isn't attaching photos to the thread as most of us do but actually linking to images hosted somewhere else on the web. The problem you are experiencing seeing only part of the images may be something to do with internet speeds either with your ISP or at the website where the images are hosted.

Best

I'm sorry, I thought this was how you are supposed to do it on this board? do you host the images on this site? I upload them here and link them? I can sometimes be a net dunce with the best of them.