tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm 

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your messages! I am sorry for not being able to respond to you earlier since I have been fully occupied at work for more than ten days (including the last two weekends) dealing with an urgent medical safety assessment regarding a recent publication from a world well known medical journal from UK. I have not been able to look at my personal email in recent weeks. Given the ongoing the project, my schedule will remain as this for a while until the assessment loop is closed.

In recent years, we have devleoped a team with relevant background/experiences including identified local artisans on Chinese ethnic arts and textiles in Hainan and some other areas cross Southwestern China. I have served a "point contact" person for the team to coordinate with all the communications especially from the west. Please feel free to let us know your specific questions/comments (images are helpful to save time on descriptions) on your interests so I will try to gather the corresponding information and get back to you as soon as I can.

Currently, all of our artisans in Hainan are struggling with the timeline to organize their artworks for the Santa Fe International Folk Art Market in early July. I will definitely share with you and the forum with the specific activities on the ikat textiles at the market when available.

Again, thank you very much for your interests!

Kind regards,

Andrew

Chris Buckley wrote:
Dear Andrew

thanks for a fascinating contribution to the forum, and thanks also for contributing your charcoal sketches of Dong women - they are wonderful.

I am a former PhD chemist, now based in Beijing, with an interest in natural dyeing. In 2006 I led a project to interview older Tibetan weavers in the Lhasa area to record traditional dye methods and plants, which eventually led to a dye manual in Tibetan language which we now use to train Tibetan weavers (I have a small weaving workshop in near to Lhasa). This included a local variant on the indigo fermentation dyeing process.

Recently I have been getting interested in indigo ikat, and I am fond of MeiFu Li work, so I was very excited to see your web page on Fu Ma Ding that Pamela provided a link to. I had wondered if there was anyone left at all on Hainan who is able to make indigo ikat, it seems there is and that is wonderful news.

I plan to go to Hainan fairly soon. The plan is to go with a camera and with a folder of pictures of ikat designs (culled from skirts I own and other sources) and ask some weavers to comment on what the designs mean to them. I would also like to look at the indigo ikat process if possible. Could you suggest places to go to or people I should contact? I will of course post some photos and comments on the forum if I can find useful information.

As I mentioned in another post on the forum I also have a trip to Flores planned for August-Sept and hope to see some ikat there too. With luck, it will be an interesting comparison.

Thank you!

Chris Buckley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Andrew,

I hope that the pressure of life at work will ease and that there will be a positive outcome on the case.

Ann Goodman has been very interested by this thread and very much appreciated your sketches. She sent me a couple of images as explained below and which I attach:

Quote:
As a continuation of Andrew Wang's thread with the Dong sketches that he made, I am attaching here a large reduction woodblock which I recently bought. It is done by a Chinese artist, Li Ma, depicting the life of a Southwestern ethnic minority group ( I think Tujia, but I'm not sure). It is titled "Sentimental Slope". The companion woodblock, also attached, entitled "Journey Out of the Mountain Chushantu" is in the collection of the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.

Please do not let joining the forum add to your burdens! We look forward to you being able to enjoy sharing with us when you are able to come up for air. I am sure that we all hope that the participation in the Santa Fe International Folk Art Market goes well for all concerned. I would love to be able to support in person!

Attachments:
LiMa1996_SentimentalSlope_w.jpg
LiMa1996_SentimentalSlope_w.jpg [ 88.81 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]
Li-Ma1996-journey-ou#669213.jpg
Li-Ma1996-journey-ou#669213.jpg [ 77.89 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Meifu Li ikat weavers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22 am 

I have added a new post with more about the Meifu Li ikat weavers mentioned by Andrew Wang, and some others in the nearby township. The post is at: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?p=5201#5201