tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guatemalan Ikat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:42 pm 

After seeing Jeff's magnificent E-gasuri collection, I thought I would show a Guatemalan Funeral shawl from Totonicopan. I have always been struck by the similarity between Guatemalan weaving, including ikat and supplimental weft, with its equivalents in SE Asia.

Attachments:
Totonicopan Funeral shawl-full.jpg
Totonicopan Funeral shawl-full.jpg [ 69.63 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]
Totonicpan Funeral shawl-close A.jpg
Totonicpan Funeral shawl-close A.jpg [ 74.44 KiB | Viewed 5400 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Bill

Thanks for posting this fascinating textile. I had not realised that ikat was a technique used in Guatemalan textiles. As you say, it is has such strong similarities with ikats in south east Asia especially the islands of Indonesia. If you had posted the textile without saying where is was from I would definitely thought it was from somewhere like Flores or perhaps Timor.

I have had a look through my Guatemalan references and, now you have alerted me, I have found a small number of photos of ikat - but nothing as splendid as the piece you show. Ann Hecht in her commentary to 'Textiles from Guatemala' for the British Museum 'fabric folio' series refers to the tie dyed warp as jaspe. All the examples seem to suggest that the ikat is woven into shawls. I have found very little information about the ikat use other than that the ikat warps are sometimes interspersed with plain coloured stripes.

Thanks so much for alerting us to this very interesting warp ikat in Guatemala.

Best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Guatemalan Ikat
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 am 

Hi all, Looking at older posts I found this beautiful ikat! I am new to Guatemalan ikats but do think this shawl has many similarities to textiles in Indonesia.

I hope Bill or other members will post more photos of Guatemalan ikat textiles. More photos and info would be most interesting. It seems they do a compound, both warp and weft, ikat that at times can almost be called double ikat don't they? Does anyone know what the ikat dyeing technique is called( the name for ikat) in Guatemala? How about the name for the indigo plant or color?

I wonder if Bill would mind telling us the age of this textile and if the ikat technique is still being practiced and new funeral shawls are still being produced and used? Any info about the patterns in this textile would be appreciated as well

Hoping for more exchange on South American Ikats! Thanks in advance and best regards, MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

MAC, have a look at this thread started by Adline http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=787

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource