tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm 

Chinese Batik or “La Ran” is a traditional art form practiced in China’s remote southwest. The Miao (also called Hmong in Laos, Thailand and Vietnam) people are particularly well-known for their batiks. The traditional method for producing a batik involves first melting wax and then dipping a needle into the liquid. The needle is then used to sketch a pattern on fabric. Once the pattern hardens the cloth is tie-dyed and the wax resists dying leaving the design clearly visible. Once dyed the wax is boiled away leaving the beautiful wax resist patterns on the fabric. More complicated patterns and color combinations can involve multiple waxing, dying and washing processes.

All of our batiks are hand-made in the city of Anshun, an ancient trading center in China’s remote and mountainous Guizhou Province. We are proud to offer this small piece of traditional Chinese heritage to you. Please contact us for a more comprehensive viewing of our different sizes, styles and types of batiks and wax paintings.

Attachments:
Sample_Batiks.jpg
Sample_Batiks.jpg [ 149.72 KiB | Viewed 3813 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:19 am 

Interesting and colorful pieces on display here. The designs are not labelled and there are diverse styles and themes so I thought I would put in my 2c worth and add some! Correct me if I have anything wrong...

The top left piece is a modern Chinese interpretation of a traditional subject: thousand armed Avalokiteshvara (Qian Shou Guan Yin), a bodhisattva found in both in Mahayana and Tantric Buddhism. The top right piece is Vajrabhairava, the chief yidam (meditational god) for the Gelug (Yellow hat) sect in Tibet, drawn in a traditional Tibetan style. The lower two pieces are interpretations of Tang and Han dynasty motifs, typical of the style of the Chinese folk-arts movement that began in the 1960s and 70s and which is still a strong influence in the decorative arts in China.

Since your batik makers are Miao-zu, I am wondering do you have any pieces with traditional Miao motifs? It would be nice to see some.

Wishing you the best of luck with your enterprise!