tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:41 am 

Dear friends,

My mini book entitled "A Common Thread: Ikat of the Islamic World", published by the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, is out :)

It retails for MYR9.90 (USD3.50) as stated in the museum's website:
http://www.iamm.org.my/publications.php

Unfortunately, it's not yet available through MPH.com.my, so if you're interested in obtaining a copy, you could e-mail me at adline76@yahoo.co.uk.

You're most welcome to visit my blog:
http://adlinewrites.blogspot.com

Attachments:
IkatMiniBookInside.jpg
IkatMiniBookInside.jpg [ 27.98 KiB | Viewed 14625 times ]
MinibookCover.jpg
MinibookCover.jpg [ 46.01 KiB | Viewed 14625 times ]

Last edited by adline76 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on the book Adline! The first of many judging by your blog and all the material that you are getting published. Well done!

I will certainly organise myself to order a copy. If I had not retired I would be in KL this weekend for the Clearing exhibition, I could have bought the new book directly and we would have been able to meet up as we did last year! I am really enjoying not working and it is nice to be home at this time of the year BUT I am missing seeing my friends in southeast Asia!

I am very pleased to see that all your creativity is bearing fruit. I love the illustrations for the children's books on the blog. Keep up all the good work.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:39 am 

Dear Pamela,

Thank you so much :)
I wish you could have come too! The Merdeka celebration is very exciting this year since it's the 50th. It has been made even more significant for me since I got to give our Agong and Permaisuri Agong (King and Queen of Malaysia) a tour of the museum yesterday!
Will be e-mailing you soon!

Love, Adline

PS: To learn more about the Malaysian monarchy, please visit the official website http://www.malaysianmonarchy.org.my/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Adline

Happy 50th Merdeka - I think I can say that even though I am a Brit! I hope you had good celebrations.

I am sure that the Agong and Permaisuri Agong enjoyed their tour of the Museum with you. I certainly enjoyed mine! I was introduced to a former King and Queen of Malaysia at a Malaysian wedding in London that I went to earlier this year where they were guests of honour. The bride and groom were both former students of the University of Kent and he had been President of the Kent Malaysian Society. The bride's sister is married to the Crown Prince (of Perlis, which is, I think, the smallest state in Malaysia). The wedding made me feel quite 'homesick' for Malaysia!

all the best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm 

Adline very kindly sent me this little gem of a book, it is a thorough overview of ikat in the Islamic World and is a good addition to the ever growing world library of textile books.

I will be visiting Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur in January and hope to visit Adline at the Islamic Arts Museum.
I have just finished my MA Dissertation on Contemporary Expressions of Traditional Textiles: Revival of Production In East Bali; I would be interested to discuss with Adline how she went about her producing her ikat book which I am interested in doing myself with my dissertation work on Bali, which has much room for expansion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:52 pm 

Hi Lesley! Congrats on completing your MA dissertation. I'm still working on mine. Would love to meet up in January! Can't wait! Please drop me an email anytime you're free :)

PS: Glad u liked the book!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:23 pm 

Dear Adline, I just found your book on this site. I have a large collection of silk weft ikat textiles from Malaysia which I collected in the early 90s but have been unable to find any books on the subject or anything on the net about these textiles. I want a copy of your book but don't have a paypal account yet. Could I send an international postal money order or if possible transfer the money through the post office? Is the book only about ikat textiles in Malaysia or also about ikats in other Islamic countries? You can email me at macdarrell@gmail.com or answer on this site or send me a private message through the tribaltextiles site. Thanks in advance. MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:58 am 

Hi there! Thanks for your interest in the book. Will be emailing you in a bit :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi Adline,

Just for the rest of us, could you clarify the contents of your ikat mini-book?

Many thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 am 

Dear Pamela,

I'm sorry for the late reply, it has been a hectic morning for me. Here's a brief on the contents of my mini book:

Chapter 1: Introduction to ikat
Chapter 2: Tradition and continuity
- Ikat around the world
- Ikat patterning
Chapter 3: Ikat of the Islamic World
- Yemen
- India
- Central Asia
- Iran
- The Malay Archipelago
- Cambodia
- Southern Philippines
Glossary

Total number of pages: 79

It's a very basic introduction to Islamic ikats. I am not an expert in the subject of ikats or anything, but I have just recently completed my Masters in Art on the Form and Design of Malay weft ikats. If anyone has a question about those textiles in particular, I'll be happy to help in any way I can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Many thanks, Adline

I thought that I remembered that you wanted to write your Masters' dissertation on Malaysian ikats. I have fond memories of us visiting a very good exhibit of Malaysian ikats at the Craft Museum in KL in Aug 06. Any chance that your dissertation will be published???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 pm 

Dear Pamela,

I am planning an exhibition on limar at the museum in 2011, to coincide with the 3rd ASEAN textile conference in Malaysia. Perhaps some of my research will make it into the publication for that :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 am 

Dear Adeline
Its great to hear that you are planning an exhibition of Limar during the 3rd ASEAN textile conference in 2011. I also plan to be at the conference and will look forward to seeing the exhibition and to meeting you and the staff at the IAM again. I have enjoyed your publication and hope to be able to use some of the material for one of my next lectures. Congratulations on completing your MA dissertation, I remember how great it feels, well done.
Lesley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:23 am 

Hi Lesley, how wonderful to hear from you. Thank you so much for your well wishes. I look forward to seeing you again too :)

PS: Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to everyone :)

Post subject: kain limar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:29 pm 

Adline, Congratulations on your MA and season's greetings!
As it is Christmas eve and New Years time I guess you must be very busy so please reply at your leisure.
In the late 80s and early 90s I made many trips to Malaysia and collected many silk, weft ikat kain limar. They were produced in the N.E. states of Trengganu and Kelantan. Most of them are quite old and have all natural colors. I did collect a few with chemical colors (orange, purple, green). I am trying to determine the age of these textiles. The oldest pieces I believe are from the early to mid 19th C. before chemical dyes became available. I wonder if you know when chemical colors became available, what color was first available and where the colors came from. Also, I wonder when weft ikat production ceased in Malaysia. When was weft ikat first produced in Malaysia? Were limar produced only by women or also by men?
Anything you can tell me about the origins, history, colors and production of limar would be greatly appreciated. When in 2011 will the limar exhibition be held? Would it be possible for you to post some photos of limar for us to see? I will post some photos of my pieces in future when I get digital photos of them taken.
Do you have any information about the Sultanate of Sambas in western Borneo? I have several score of old, silk songket and ikat sarongs and limar from Sambas as well. I believe that the Sambas Sultanate is an extension of those in Malaysia.
Well, enough questions for now! I don't want to burden you with too many questions at this busy time of year. I am just so happy to find someone else with a knowledge of these textiles. I have seen books on songket but can find nothing on Malaysian, weft ikats and have only seen Sambas mentioned briefly in Sylvia Fraser-Lu's book. Alas, even she could offer no photos of Sambas textiles.
Again may I ask where and to whom to send a postal money order or postal transfer to obtain a copy of your book? Thank you in advance and please don't feel pressed to answer right away. Best Regards, MAC