tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Admin

MAC

I also went through Aboriginal Arts in Taiwan: The Collection of Chen Cheng-Ching - very much better photos although looks like the same collection - and could not find any ikat.

Best

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

As promised, I got in touch with Kathleen F Johnson. She could not recall seeing any ikat in the aboriginal textiles of Taiwan but, for further confirmation, put me in touch with a friend of hers, Tsai Yushan, who teaches at the Fu Jen Catholic University Department of Textiles and Clothing in Taiwan. She has published three books: 1.Tablet Weaving - Technique and Creation in 1998, 2.Shuttle Weaving Technique and Textile Structure Analysis in 2000 and 2007 (further edition) and 3. Textile Fabrics of Aboriginal Tribes in Taiwan: An Analysis of Textile Structure and Weaving Patterns of the Atayal Tribe. She has also analysed the fabrics of around 8 tribes most of which has not been published and, as Kathleen says, is a master weaver herself.

Tsai Yushan very kindly got back to me by return:
Quote:
"About your question, just as you thought, I have never seen any Textile with ikat from aboriginal tribes in Taiwan, traditionally they knew dyeing the ramie thread with natural material, some of Taiwan tribes are excellent on weaving, but those dyed wool threads they used were by exchange."

So, MAC, it does seem that we have a nil return for ikat in Taiwan.

Last edited by Pamela on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm 

I'm a little late to answer as others did it already :-) but anyway...

If I don’t make a mistake on what is an Ikat, I’ve also never seen one in the textile culture of the Taiwanese/Formosan austronesian people. They use ramie/linen fiber that are dyed first. Later, cotton and wool were exchanged with the Chinese settlers and used among the aborigines, but still no Ikat.

Mac wrote in one post “Some researchers think that Taiwan was the cradle of the Austronesian culture” In fact, it is a theory shared by most of the researchers now. The archeologists proved it in the 70s by tracking the origin and the style of the Lapita pottery in the pacific basin. Then, the linguists confirmed it in the 80s by showing that the most original of the Austronesian languages around the Pacific area are spoken in Taiwan. After, at the end of the 90s, the biologists added a scientific proof when they compared DNA samples of the Taiwanese aborigines with the DNA of some of other Austronesian peoples, among which the Maori of New Zealand.

Mac also wrote “the Austronesian culture which spread as far as Hainan” : there must be a typo mistake there. For sure, Hainan is part of the Austronesian world, but this Austronesian world is extending much further than Hainan as it is encompassing the most of the Pacific islands and even Madagascar, in the Indian ocean. In fact, the languages spoken by the Taiwanese aborigines are the most original of all the Austronesian languages, a family of languages that counts more than 1200 languages spoken around the Pacific by more than 300 millions people. So the Austronesian world include not only Hainan but also most of the population/islands between the Easter island, in the east, New Zealand, in the south, Madagascar, in the west, and Taiwan and Hawaii, in the north.

Mac asked “if it is not or never was used in Taiwan does this mean that the Austronesians were not the carriers of the technique but received the knowledge from some other source at a latter date and Taiwanese groups somehow failed to get this knowledge?” It appears to be true that the Taiwanese groups failed to get this knowledge, and there is at least one reason for this : they didn't have many contacts with the outside world. Till the end of the 19th century, only the limited western plain of the island and few spots on its eastern coast were inhabited by Chinese settlers. The rest, inhabited by the mountains Formosan aborigines, was UNKNOWN to the outsiders. The last maps published before the arrival of the Japanese on the island, in 1895, show that the deep forested/mountainous two thirds of the island were declared as TERRA INCOGNITA. The reason was that nobody had dared to get inside before because of the reputation of its inhabitants : the Formosan aborigines were in fact fierce warriors and head hunters. It took the Japanese army, as strong as it was, 30 years to control them (in the Wushe incident, in 1930, the Japanese used thousand of soldiers, airplanes, bombs, mass destruction weapons (mustard gas) to overcome the last revolt)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

With Tsai Yushan's email response to my enquiry about ikat in Taiwan (see my post above) was attached some lovely images of woven samples that she had done based on her research into the aboriginal textiles of Taiwan. We have now sorted out some images that can be shared with the forum without any copyright problems.

Yushan is clearly a very special person, both in her generosity of spirit to share with us and for her amazing patience and technical weaving skills. As images of the textiles of Taiwan are not easily accessible to most people I thought that you might enjoy them. Three of the textile samples are shown with both top and reverse faces of the textile so it quite a priviledge to get so up-close to the textiles to have some understanding of them.

Attachments:
File comment: Woven sample by Tsai Yushan based on the lower part of a vest of the Nanao Atayal (1997).
vest-Nanao-Atayal-w.jpg
vest-Nanao-Atayal-w.jpg [ 65.02 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]
File comment: Woven sample by Tsai Yushan based on the lower part of a vest of the Nanao Atayal - reverse side (1997).
vest-Nanao-Atayal-rev-w.jpg
vest-Nanao-Atayal-rev-w.jpg [ 39.4 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]
File comment: textile sample based on a Wushe West-Sedeq Atayal (Taiwan) shawl. Woven by Tsai Yushan 2004.
shawl-Wushe-West-Sedeq-Atay.jpg
shawl-Wushe-West-Sedeq-Atay.jpg [ 87.02 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]
File comment: Reverse side of a textile sample based on a Wushe West-Sedeq Atayal (Taiwan) shawl. Woven by Tsai Yushan 2004.
shawl-Wushe-W-Sedeq-Atay-re.jpg
shawl-Wushe-W-Sedeq-Atay-re.jpg [ 72.41 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]
File comment: Woven sample by Tsai Yushan based on a Paiwan tribe (Taiwan) textile (2007).
Paiwan-w.jpg
Paiwan-w.jpg [ 44.3 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]
File comment: Woven sample by Tsai Yushan based on a Rukai tribe (Taiwan) textile (2007).
Rukai-w.jpg
Rukai-w.jpg [ 70.73 KiB | Viewed 6456 times ]

Last edited by Pamela on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

a few more....

Attachments:
File comment: sample by Tsai Yushan based on a man's sleeveless garment of the Bunun tribe (2003)
man--slvlss-garment-Bunun.jpg
man--slvlss-garment-Bunun.jpg [ 88.53 KiB | Viewed 6441 times ]
File comment: sample by Tsai Yushan based on a woman's skirt of the Truku tribe (2004)
Woman-skirt-Truku.jpg
Woman-skirt-Truku.jpg [ 77.14 KiB | Viewed 6441 times ]
File comment: sample by Tsai Yushan based on a shawl of the Nanao Atayal (2004)
shawl-Nanao-Atayal.jpg
shawl-Nanao-Atayal.jpg [ 83.2 KiB | Viewed 6441 times ]
File comment: sample by Tsai Yushan based on a textile by the Saisiyat tribe (Taiwan) - 2005
Saisiyat.jpg
Saisiyat.jpg [ 64.67 KiB | Viewed 6441 times ]
File comment: sample by Tsai Yushan based on a textile by the Saisiyat tribe (Taiwan) - reverse - 2005
Saisiyat-rev.jpg
Saisiyat-rev.jpg [ 63.53 KiB | Viewed 6441 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:58 pm 

This is in fact quite rare to see so many samples of Formosan aborigines textiles on a public website. I'm very grateful to you, Pamela, to reproduce here these samples collected by Tsai Yushan.

For those who are interested in knowing more about Tsai Yushan's work and the textiles of the Atayal, one of the Taiwanese aboriginal group, you can try to find her great book "Textile fabrics of Aboriginal tribes in Taiwan : an analysis of textile structure and weaving patterns of the Atayal tribe" published by The Taichung County Cultural Center.

I attached to this post a picture of the book cover and another one of the ISBN behind the book.

One more thing : among the photos presented by Pamela, check the photos of the 2 textiles samples based on a 'Wushe West-Sedeq Atayal (Taiwan) shawls', that have been woven by Tsai Yushan. They have been woven in the last years but on traditional models of the Sedeq tribe, of the Atayal group, which is precisely the last tribe to have revolted against their Japanese colonial master in the 1930s - an event, by coincidence, that I have mentioned in my last post. To illustrate this, I joined here a photo of Mona Ludao (center), the tribe chief that lead this revolt before hanging himself with few hundreds of other members of his tribe, in order to escape the Japanese repression. By the way, on this picture, he and his two companions are wearing shawls of the same kind Tsai Yushan has recreated.

Attachments:
File comment: Mona Ludao (center), the leader of the Sedeq revolt against the Japanese. Check the pictures of Tsai Yushan's samples, and you'll find some corresponding to the shawls that these warriors are wearing.
index_775.jpg
index_775.jpg [ 25.76 KiB | Viewed 6428 times ]
File comment: The Tsai Yushan's book cover
p1020868_204.jpg
p1020868_204.jpg [ 271.92 KiB | Viewed 6428 times ]
File comment: Tsai Yushan's book ISBN
p1020872w.jpg
p1020872w.jpg [ 62.45 KiB | Viewed 6428 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 pm 

While surfing on the Internet, I found these 2 pictures taken by C. Yu
These are Paiwan elders, dressed up to go ceremonies. I think the pictures talk by themselves, and are perfectly adding to some of the previous threads concerning the Taiwan aborigines. Please pay attention to the typical hair dresses and the beaded tunics.

Attachments:
index-1.jpg
index-1.jpg [ 147.75 KiB | Viewed 6390 times ]
index.jpg
index.jpg [ 120.01 KiB | Viewed 6390 times ]