tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:56 pm 

I am a jewelry designer who also collects antique folk art textiles, especially from India. I have decided to sell some of my collection so I can buy some new pieces.

Since I already had a shop on Etsy, I decided to open another shop for the textiles. I don't know if this would be an ok thing to do as a member of this site.

Please let me know if you'd like to see some of these pieces. I don't want to post a link here to my shop as I don't know if this would be ok.

Coco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Coco,

Thanks for being so restrained about your commercial operations! As it happens this is the one part of the forum where we are happy for people to 'sell'. I just clicked your website button on the forum and what a lovely, colourful feast for the eye, or 'eye-candy' as Susan Stem referes to it!

What several forum members do is to put their website into their signature which gets automatically added to all posts. This gives some subtle, low-key 'advertising' which is acceptable. Whilst, on the rest of the forum, I don't want peole to 'sell' if people who do are prepared to share their knowledge with the rest of us they I see no reason why people should not know about their gallery/shop.

So, thanks again and good luck with selling your textiles. I very much felt when I set up this section of the forum that it might be useful for people wanting to refocus or upgrade their collections.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 am 

Thank you Pamela for your support and guidance.

I am amazed at the knowledge and passion for textiles that many of the members here have and share. Although I love collecting, my interest and information is not 'scholarly'. I look forward to learning a lot here!

See you around in the posts!

Coco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 pm 

I would appreciate some feedback from members on the quality and pricing of these pieces.

Thanks!

Coco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Coco

Of signed up members who have 'come out' in their collecting interests I don't think that, so far, we have any who have a special expertise or interest in sub-continent textiles. Myself I am attracted to the rich colours in the decoration of the textiles but don't have any expertise. As a forumer quilter many of the techniques are of interest and some years ago I bought some (applique) Banjara pieces - they always attract me -but too long ago to be able to have much idea of pricing today.

Generally, commenting on price is something that this forum is very reticent about. Any such comments may occur in personal exchanges (private messages/emails) but do not tend to be voiced - as you will see if when you review the forum posts even on this thread.

If I was looking for good quality Indian pieces in the UK I would certainly have a look in Joss Graham's gallery in Eccleston St, near Victoria, London and I think of him as an expert in this area. Have you seen his website http://www.jossgraham.com/ ? I don't think he has prices on the website but there is a section with some nice pieces from various places in India under the Exhibitions section of the website which is quite a useful reference. Joss is not a member of the forum and the internet is not his forte!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: folk art textiles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm 

Thanks Pamela for your input. I was hoping someone would come forward with more information and opinions on pricing etc. Anyway, I am happy that many people are at least taking a look.

best..

Coco