tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Miao Zhuang book
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:00 pm 

Dear Pamela
I am interested in the book on your China bibliography called "Miao Zhuang"and am just wondering about its contents, since it looks very promising.
I understand it is similar to "Guizhou's Hidden civilisation" which I have indeed seen at the Museum of Mankind library and with which I was very impressed. But, alas, no prospects as yet of obtaining my own copy.

If you have a few moments to spare, I am wondering if you would be able tell me a little bit more about "Miao Zhuang" since I am going to try and locate it, and not having seen a copy, wonder if it is worth the effort.

Is "Miao Zhuang" about just the Miao and Zhuang peoples or does it include other ethnic groups in the same general area, and above all does it show lots of costumes being worn and are these the main feature of the book.( I understand it is all Chinese text). Lastly are photos and presentation good quality.
I hope this won't be too much bother for you. (We are all so very busy these days!)

About the Chinese publication on the Li people: - I contacted HST again recently and there appears to be no sign of it, i'm afraid, but they do have
"Taiwan's Aboriginal Peoples" listed in their catalogue if you are interested. (see my previous post)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Siriol - just a quick post to say that I have seen your message and will sit down with the book and get back to you. A bit tied up at the moment but I am very happy to give you feedback. Sorry for the delay...

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Miaozhuang
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

... at last ...

The book is all in Chinese with the only word(s) in Roman script being Miaozhuang. It is pretty much all photos and these are generally superb - both the actual photographs and the reproduction in the book

I bought the book in Guiyang, Guizhou province in 2001. I have had a look at my diary of the trip and quote the relevant couple of paragraphs about meeting the author/photographer:

Quote:
After lunch we went on a visit which Xiao Wang had finally arranged the night before. It was with a very well known 'Panda (or famous man) of Guizhou' Mr Zeng Xian Yang. He was a photographer of Guizhou and its minorities, especially in the south-east of the province. His photographs have been published in several well known books including one which I bought in 2000 - 'Guizhou's Hidden Civilisation'. During the visit I bought and he autographed for me an earlier book of his photos 'Miao Zhuang'.

He had been collecting and photographing the Miao and their textiles for between 20-30 years. He was particularly active in collecting in the 1980s. He showed us a few wax resist pieces particularly talking about the symbolism in them. He showed us some embroideries, mainly from the Shidong area. According to him the wax resist pieces were around a 100 years old and the embroidered pieces from the 1930s and 1940s based on the ages and histories of the people from whom he bought the textiles. He lived in a modernised flat with plenty of expensive looking Hi Fi equipment and strong security. It was a very interesting visit.

It would be pretty difficult to get the book as I think it was published in 1992 (at US$60). I am attaching a scan of Mr Zheng's card which has contact details if someone can speak Chinese (don't know if HST would be prepared to make such a contact). He did not seem to have any English and we relied on our translator.

If you have a chance to get a copy then I would advise getting it as it is a collector's item in its own right. I would say that the photos are from the 1980s period - before the countryside opened up to visitors and external influences - and are of very fine examples indeed. The Miao put their very best festival costumes on for him to photograph and there are also photos of stages of textile production and from a few festivals.

There may be some overlap in photos between 'Miaozhuang' and 'Guizhou's Hidden Civilization'. The latter is broader covering, as well as Miao, Dong, Bouyei and Geija and possibly other groups and has some English captions.

Good luck in a search for either book. I would think that Hidden Civilization might be easier to get especially if someone was visiting Guiyang. Try the Pavilion which when I was there in 2001 and 2001 had a shop selling minority textiles and a few books which included Hidden Civilization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:14 pm 

Pamela
Thank you very much for your reply. I made an all out effort to trace a copy of Miao Zhuang based on you recommendation. I managed to find a copy in White lotus press's list of out of print books on China, and am in the process of ordering it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well done! I hope that it is still in stock as the White Lotus Press website has not been updated for quite some time. Mr Ande at White Lotus Press has a sterling bank account and has, in the past, accepted a sterling cheque from me. Paying by credit card seems somewhat problematic in Thailand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:53 pm 

Pamela
Thanks again for giving "Miao Zhuang" such a good recommendation. My copy arrived yesterday fron White Lotus Press and I am delighted with it. As you said, the costumes are superb examples, and the photos generaly clear enough to see good details of the textiles themselves. The other book I have with a large amount of Miao material is "A Picture Album of China's Miao Costumes and Ornaments" but the photos here don't always do the costumes justice. What I find of particular value in "Miao Zhuang" is that the men's ceremonial costumes are shown, as well as that of women. These appear less commonly illus in other books I have seen, maybe the elaborate male costumes are not worn so much these days?
By the way do you know what the Zhuang part of the title means?

PS As you like fine photos of traditional dress and textiles in Asia etc I picked up a book the other day which may interest you and other forum members. The tilte is "Tribal Asia : Ceremonies, Rituals and Dress" by Robert Schmid and Fritz Trupp. Thames and Hudson. It contains 309 photos of traditionaly dressed peoples from India, including the northeast of the country, also China, Tibet, and southern Arabia among others.The main point of interest in this contextare the stunning photos of Miao and also Naga peoples also a section on remote areas of island Southeast Asia.

Post subject: miao zhuang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:56 am 

New follow up to a very old post.
I am a new member of the forum living in China who is also very interested in Miao and Yao textiles and artifacts.
The "zhuang" in Miao Zhuang simply means costume or attire. The complete word in chinese for outfit/costume is fuzhuang.

Steven Frost