tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:20 am 

I found this textile in a frame in thrift store. It wasn't the cheapest thing in the store, but I had to have it as I think it's a lovely design, and I was rather horrified to see it framed like it was. Not that the framing was bad as such, but it didn't have glass and god only knew what the sunlight was doing to it.

I was happy to find that care had been taken with the framing and it was only lightly glued around the edges of the textile to the chipboard backing and came off reasonably easy without damage.

I think this is Indonesian? I can't be sure of the age, though it's not new. It's a fine cotton textile, so smooth that at first I thought it was silk. If anyone has any information on these sorts of textiles, I'd appreciate it.

The first set of pictures show the back of the textile where it wasn't exposed to sunlight. It's much more yellow with the original colouring. I am very wary of framing textiles simply to prevent this type of damage.

The size of the textile is 42" or 110cm square.

Attachments:
IMG6.jpg
IMG6.jpg [ 100.25 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]
IMG5.jpg
IMG5.jpg [ 100.1 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]
IMG3.jpg
IMG3.jpg [ 104.38 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]
IMG2.jpg
IMG2.jpg [ 106.44 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]
IMG1.jpg
IMG1.jpg [ 110.63 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:39 pm 

Hi Katmax1, It looks like a stamp batik. The size is like that of a man's head cloth which is folded and wrapped in various ways around the head. I don't remember seeing any batik head cloths on cotton from Java and the head cloths from Palembang that I have seen were all silk with weft ikat patterns and gold brocade. I do have a couple of very old, 100 years?, batik head cloths on very fine cotton which I bought in Malaysia about 20 years ago. They have rather dark colors in brown, red and blue but no green. Could your cloth be a Malaysian batik head cloth from the 1930's when a chemical green dye was available? One of the newer ,silk, weft ikat limars from the northeast coast of Malaysia, in my collection, has a chemical green background. It was produced around 1920 or 1930, just before they stopped doing weft ikat in Malaysia. The green is a bit brighter but this may be because the cloth is silk. I don't know much about batik so this is all that I can suggest. Best regards, MAC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:33 am 

Hi Katmax1-
MAC is right- it's a man's headcloth and was possibly made for Muslims in northern Sumatra where Islam is practiced in a more strict manner, and the representation of living beings is prohibited- hence the geometric pattern in the middle. The colors are also more in keeping with the batiks I've seen for this market. I'm not familiar with batik in Malaysia, so cannot comment on that, tho it could possibly be from there- perhaps our member, Adline, in Kuala Lumpur would know. I also don't know if it was made in Sumatra, or in Java, or elsewhere. The area of Jambi in Sumatra was known for batiks with geometric designs, tho the ones I've seen are different from yours. Most of the Indonesian batiks are from Java.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 am 

Thank you very much to both of you for the information on this textile. I feel I know a lot more about it than I did before. It's the only piece I have like this in my collection. I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

Kathy

Post subject: Hi!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 am 

Am newbe here!! thanks for the initiative post...more power!!!