tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 pm 

Unlike the beautiful, elaborate Miao girls' head-dresses worn when courting potential spouses, I have never seen these hats worn in indigenous photos of the Miao, and it has been very difficult to obtain information about them. There is a photo in the back of my display cabinet, allegedly taken at the Santa Fe Folk Art Festival, showing an artisan wearing his creation. Have these hats been created exclusively for the tourist market as souvenirs?

I have collected these hats solely for their wildly imaginative form and iconography, rather than for their intrinsic value. I only want to document their origin and purpose. I am fascinated with how the Miao have turned their brilliant artistic talents to their advantage in the modern world - the tourist market representing both a beacon and a death knell for their hand-made culture.

Thank you for all observations.

Attachments:
IMG_1480w.jpg
IMG_1480w.jpg [ 76.47 KiB | Viewed 3617 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I have just found a second image of Nina's minority jewellery sitting in my SPAM box. I do like to find collectors at least as compulsive as I am!!!

Attachments:
IMG_1443w.jpg
IMG_1443w.jpg [ 77.3 KiB | Viewed 3595 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:31 am 

Oh my gosh! These Miao silver pieces and headdresses are so beautiful!
I've seen other photos of Miao silver headdresses that aren't the usual ones that Miao women often wear (they were kept in museums though), but I haven't seen many of these before.
I'm particularly fascinated by those spectacular Miao silver necklaces hanging on the wall.

Post subject: souvenir hats
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:56 pm 

At the Santa Fe International Folk Art Market and from contacts in Guizhou Province I tried to gather opinions about the fantastic metal (nickel silver) hats now on the market. There was definitely no consensus, but no one could say that they had ever seen one used for a traditional purpose. One person said they were modeled after head gear worn by judges at the end of the Ming Dynasty. The wisest Miao woman I know said she thought they were Yao because they like horns. The man pictured in the photo is a Han dealer from Tianjin who has not yet traveled to Guizhou Province, so he could not add further information. I have seen a few of the pyramid shaped hats which do appear to have some age and maybe made with some silver content. Maybe this will be one of the threads which will be picked up months from now with more definitive information.
Pam Najdowski