tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Batik Prada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 am 

In the spirit of Pamela's wonderful topic on Batak textiles and the family history behind them http://www.tribaltextiles.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=1296 , I would like to share a piece from my family history (though I'm not sure it could be called a tribal textile!).

This is a batik prada sarong that belonged to my great grandmother. She owned it, (most likely having commissioned it), at the beginning of the 20th century, and it has been passed down in my family matrilineally ever since. It currently resides in the collection of my mother after her older sister gave it to her on her last visit to Indonesia. It is batik tulis on silk, with pure gold leafing.

Attachments:
batik_pradaw.jpg
batik_pradaw.jpg [ 80.6 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]
batik_prada_detailw.jpg
batik_prada_detailw.jpg [ 79.67 KiB | Viewed 4903 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Jon,

Very many thanks for sharing this gorgeous family textile with us. The detail, especially, gives a little idea of the wonderful workmanship. (I have reduced the screen size of the images to 600 px as they were distorting the viewing. The quality of the more complete image of the sarong is not very clear. I don't suppose you have anything which is sharper as it would be great to see this stunning piece more clearly?) The waxing of this piece was a tour de force in itself but the gold leaf is wonderfully over the top in cramming in so very much detail all over the cloth. It must look lovely when worn in the evening with lights catching the gold and the lovely, rich terracotta glowing behind the gold.

No not, in one way, 'tribal' but in the way that I think that I mean it when I think of tribal textiles it is. I think it was worn as part the appropriate dress (clearly for a very special occasion) by your great grandmother in the community in which she lived at the time.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Batik Tulis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 am 

This image of the batik prada (tulis) is truly beautiful and very unusual, I would love to know where was your great grandmother living when she wore this as a young women. The town in Java (I assume) would give a clearer picture as to the type of batik this is.
In August I am planning a trip along the Pasisir of Java, and will be looking out for quality pieces of cloth such as this, (today almost impossible to find in the field).
Thank you for sharing this with the forum