tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 am 

Okay, I am indonesian, and to my ear and up until now, to my knowledge, the word "batik" is only used to mention a technique of dyeing textile in javanese tradition.

But, recently i found that, after wandering here and there in the net, the word "batik" is also used for other textile that certainly not javanese in the technique and pattern/motive.

So, as an ordinary person, i need more information here about the usage of the word "batik" especially in international forum.

The thread made not because i am angry or something, it just confusing, due to my understanding to the word batik as an Indonesian.

Thank you in advance..

--It's hard to be a half breed, especially if your father is partially Arab, Sunda, and Lampung, while your mother is half Toraja half Wajo, and you was born in Palembang, yet raised in Bangka Island, just to go to study for 8 years in Bandung--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

There is no doubt that the word 'batik' has come into the English language (I don't know about other languages) to mean painting or drawing on wax as a resist when dyeing and therefore creating a pattern or design.

I try not to use the word 'batik' but say 'wax resist' when talking about dyeing and using wax as a resist unless I am talking about batik in Indonesia in Java or Sumatra but I think you will find many/most forum members will use the word 'batik', for example when describing wax resist in south west China by the Miao. (I sometimes feel rather picky and pedantic when I say 'wax resist' and not batik!)

I think that batik in Indonesia was probably the first such use of wax resist that many people knew about and so they use the word 'batik' as the generic term for the technique/process. Many people in the world at large may not even realise now that batik is the special term from Indonesia and specifically Java (and I think there is some batik in Sumatra?) and that it refers to particular designs and patterns used in a specific place and culture.

The word 'ikat' has also been adopted widely to refer to a resist to dye created by binding threads. This term is used more widely than only referring to ikat in Indonesia. A local term for the process is likely to be explained by using the work 'ikat' to describe it.

I am trying to think of other words from other languages where this is also true. One term I can think of is 'Hoover' for an electric cleaner. Here a specific make of electric cleaner has been widely adopted for a type of cleaning and machine to do it.

Languages change and evolve all the time and adopt words from other languages. In the case of English and technical terms such as batik and ikat I think they become adopted because the technical process is not native to the UK or USA and so the word is taken from the language of country where the process is first seen or noticed widely. The words are no longer words from another language and culture but have a specific meaning in the language which has adopted them.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:17 am 

thank you for the explanation, Pamela. Very useful for my understanding. Well, if it's already became a consensus among involving people to make it a generic term, it's a good thing indeed, since it shows appreciation to the words "batik" and "ikat". Wow, as an ordinary indonesian, right now i truly feel flattered (well, actually that's bad for me personally, as a scholar in language study, i feel embarrased not knowing such thing).

Oh, and yeah, there's batik in Sumatra, in province of Jambi (and i think it's the only batik in Sumatera), it's called batik Jambi. It's quite specific, with big influence from Sumatera's culture in term of pattern and color. I cannot describe it in technical terms, but when you see one, you'll know right at the time that it's not a Javanese batik. Batik Jambi is so Jambi, so Sumatera, so Melayu. Now batik Jambi has increasingly gain it's reputation, and gain more popularity among Indonesian people, even though still cannot beat the popularity of big names such as Pekalongan and Solo.

You might want to check some pictures of them at http://batikjambi.com/
and more detailed information at http://www.jambiexplorer.com/content/batik.htm

--It's hard to be a half breed, especially if your father is partially Arab, Sunda, and Lampung, while your mother is half Toraja half Wajo, and you was born in Palembang, yet raised in Bangka Island, just to go to study for 8 years in Bandung--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 am 

Very good and thoughtful answer, Pamela. I am currently putting together an exhibition of Khmer weft 'hol' silks and realizing that many people will not know the term 'hol', but do know 'ikat', which utilizes the same process of resist binding for dyeing prior to weaving; the term 'ikat' is almost universally used for this process, yet in locales outside Indonesia there are other, local names in use. I think it is important to be specific when possible and to use the name used at the source, or use a descriptive phrase such as 'wax resist'. That said, for the sake of expediency I do not always do as I say!

One other common term that has come from a specific source is 'to Xerox', when we mean 'to copy'- I'm sure there are lots more!

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:21 am 

Yes, just think of gunny sack and pjamas, both terms originating in India.

In 1985 Rita Bolland, then curator of textiles at the Tropenmuseum in Amsterdam, wrote a short article about Dutch Museums and Indonesian Textile Collections that was published in 1991 in Indonesian Textiles: Symposium 1985 edited by Gisela Völger and Karin von Welck.

I quote from her second paragraph:

Quote:
"Everybody who wants to study Indonesian textiles comes upon the names of the Dutch scholars Rouffaer (and Juynbol), Loeber, Jasper and his fellow Indonesian worker Mas Pirngadie, Goslings and Van Nouhuys. Their lectures, papers, books and ctalogues for exhibition opened the eyes of the Western world to the beauty of the Indonesian textiles and also to the highly technical processes of weaving and dyeing used in the Indonesian archipelago. It is from these publications that the Indonesian names for the reserve-dyeing processes, the words batik, ikat and plangi became generally used in the German, English and French languages."

These authors wrote at the turn of the 20th century.

I have just finished editing a book about Rita Bolland (she passed away in September 2006) and it goes into production at the end of this week. I will let everybody know when it appears.