tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:13 am 

This is actually not one, but two museums.

"Metersbonwe" is a famous clothing brand (if you are young and Chinese), and the founder Zhou ChengJian has created a costume museum at the flagship store in Nanjing Road, Shanghai. His collection includes court robes, qipao and so on, but it's strength is ethnic minority costume from SW China. There are many complete outfits on display, with items ranging from "recent" to 19th century, all of outstanding quality and condition. The collection now numbers more than 10,000 pieces so we are only seeing a fraction of the total inventory.

The most easily accessible part of the collection is located in the famous pedestrianised part of the Nanjing Road shopping street, on the top floor of the 5 storey Metersbonwe shop. The collection occupies the whole floor, and is well lit and displayed. In addition to complete outfits there are baby carriers, blankets and jewelery. The main collection however is housed some way out of town at the Metersbonwe headquarters in the Nanhui district. Like the flagship store museum this is also open to the public, but gets fewer visitors and you might be as well to make an appointment before going. I went with a friend a couple of days ago, and the museum director Ms Dai (charming and helpful) showed us around, while her friend Mr Song from the PR department helped out with introductions and translation.

There are other collections of ethnic minority textiles in China, but this is probably the best, and the only one I know of that has an extensive and permanent display.

Metersbonwe flagship store Museum, 387 Nanjing Dong Lu, Shanghai (the museum is housed on the top floor of the 5 storey shop in the pedestrianised part of Nanjing Road)
Open 7 days a week, 10am-8pm
admission free

Metersbonwe head office museum, 800 KangQiao Dong Lu, NanHui district, Shanghai.

www.mbmuseum.org

Attachments:
File comment: costume from Yunnan on display at the head office museum
lagu costume.jpg
lagu costume.jpg [ 49.35 KiB | Viewed 10944 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Forum member Ann B Goodman has passed onto me this message for Chris:
Quote:
"I couldn't let Chris Buckley's post of the website of Metersbonwe Museum go by without saying thanks to Chris. I have spent several hours going through the virtual tour of Metersbonwe Museum. The collection is terrific and beautifully displayed for the web. I recommend this site to all Forum members.

Thanks again, Chris

Ann Goodman"

My problem is that I cannot get the museum to load from the link that Chris gives (or a hunt of the web). I can only get blocks of black and white to load. I did get as far as some music and headings once but they never got anywhere and now I cannot get them back again!

Frustratred................

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 am 

I just visited today the Nanjing West Road part of this private museum/collection. Absolutely fascinating !
I can't wait to go the headquarters of the company to see the other part of the collection opened to the public. I'll keep you updated.
On sale at the museum shop, a very nice book with pictures of the exhibited pieces.
Unfortunately, nothing displayed concerning the Taiwan aborigines.
Nicolas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:22 pm 

I received a PM, suggesting I should give more details on the book.
Very good idea !
Its main title is in Chinese and translated on the cover in English :
'Illustrated book of collection of superb exhibits from Metersbonwe Costume Museum'
ISBN 9787532253579
Price 399 RMB
Around 300 pages with more than 350 pieces of textiles and jewellery shown - around 40 of them being Han, from the Qing Dynasty, the rest being from the Chinese minorities. Most of the pieces exhibited on Nanjing West Road are pictured in the book, plus many others not exhibited there. The Chinese texts are partially translated in English.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to Nicolas for the catalogue info - and the forum member who wanted the full details and pointed the way to the detailed info that we look for in enabling us to track down book references!

Just an aside - a bit of feedback that I heard from one of the dealers who travelled to S W China this Oct/Nov 08 was that the purchase of costumes by Metersbonwe Costume Museum, Shanghai had really pushed up prices for minority textiles especially for those similar to ones purchased which now had a premium as Metersbonwe had paid high prices for their Museum pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:40 am 

I confirm also what wrote Pamela about the raising prices.
The owner of a South West Chinese ethnic textiles shop told me jokingly the other day that if the"rich boss from the garment company [Metersbonwe] was able to offer 6 000 000 RMB to buy all the old textiles in one remote village only, I can immediately propose him my whole shop with everything inside for that price '. He meant by saying this that the MBW owner, M. Zhou, is buying as much as possible, at any price. And the result is already here : M. Zhou has built a 10 000 pieces collection in less than 5 years, and the boss of the ethnic textiles shop has increased its price.
Well, I have pictured hereafter the Metersbonwe Museum book cover and I also pictured the address and map of a little shop/museum showing/selling hand printed blue Nankeen textiles. The location is in a charming individual old house with garden, at the end of a private lane going from Changle Road, in the heart of the former French Concession.
Nicolas

Attachments:
SANY0025.JPG
SANY0025.JPG [ 68.5 KiB | Viewed 10553 times ]
SANY0023.JPG
SANY0023.JPG [ 81.29 KiB | Viewed 10553 times ]
SANY0019.JPG
SANY0019.JPG [ 209.66 KiB | Viewed 10553 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm 

Actually is so difficult to search for Chinese sites nowadays.. I found just a few links in baidu using an automatic translator, but nothing relevant..
The keyword was 中国传统服装 (Chinese traditional costumes)

Do you know more websites of textile museums in China?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Victoria

Your question is a good one! Can I encourage forum members (and watchers) to add any Chinese museum website links to this thread? I shall certainly keep my eyes open for such sites/links as I move about the web.

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:07 pm 

Yes,
I think maybe it's because of the censorship of internet in China...

----------------------------
phone interpretation