tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:18 pm 

I have recently received two books about South West China’s textiles published by “The National Museum of Prehistory” here in Taiwan.

The first is:
“Baby Carriers” (Illustrated Catalogue of Baby Carriers of the Minority Peoples of Southwest China).
Published in August 2007 by The National Museum of Prehistory.
ISBN: 978-986-01-0413-4

Distribution is by the Museum, so I’m not sure how readily available it will be. Address: No.1 Museum Road,Taitung, 950, Taiwan. Tel. +886 89 381166. Fax: +886 89 831199.

It is a large format, hard cover book with some fine textiles, all illustrated in excellent quality, large colour photos. Minorities covered include: Miao, Gejia, Zhuang, Dong, Buyi, Yao (Raojia), She (Dongjia) etc.

There is an introduction in English by Sr Maryta Laumann, Professor and Head of the Textiles and Clothing Department at Fu Jen University. There are also brief introductions to each of the Minorities covered and a simple description of each piece in English. The main body of the text is in Chinese only.

The second book is:
“The Rhythms of BLUE” (Illustrated Catalogue to Indigo Dying of Minority Peoples of Southwest China).
Published in November 2006 by The National Museum of Prehistory.
ISBN-13: 978-986-00-6613-5
ISBN-10: 986-00-6613-2
Price: NT$1,200
Other details as above.

This is a large format, soft cover book. It covers the production and use of indigo by Minorities, including: Miao, Dong, Yao (Raojia), Gejia and others. Good photos, interesting pieces, but text is all in Chinese.

Attachments:
File comment: Baby Carriers- Published by The National Museum of Prehistory, Taiwan
Baby-Carriers.jpg
Baby-Carriers.jpg [ 51.42 KiB | Viewed 9917 times ]
File comment: Rhythms of Blue
Rhythms-of-Blue.jpg
Rhythms-of-Blue.jpg [ 51.68 KiB | Viewed 9917 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:32 am 

Thanks for the heads up on the new books Andrew!

Steven

www.stevenqfrost.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 pm 

I just wanted to follow up Andrew's earlier post about the two recent books from Taiwan. The indigo book is very good, especially if you have a specific interest in indigo. The Baby Carriers book is in my opinion exceptional and a necessary reference book for collectors. There are many interesting and seldom seen pieces and an attempt to classify styles according to geographic region. The in situ photographs are also a treat.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Andrew, Steven, I must agree that these are two excellent books. I think that the indigo book may now be sold out. Iain told me that he bought the last copy when he visited the Museum following up on Andrew's initial review. The quality of the babycarrier book is just exceptional. It really is a book to try and get for your reference library and, at the same time, it is a glorious 'coffee-table' book! Definitely the quality of book to aim for - book publishers and authors please take note!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:56 pm 

Last night I looked through the indigo book again before going to sleep and it is equally amazing with regard to the quality of the pieces. It is just not as "monumental" as Baby Carriers. Let's hope more volumes of this quality will be available in the future.

Steven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Please note that Steven Frost has managed to source 'Baby Carriers' from Taiwan and it is available from him - see his new section on books which he has just added to his website. This is great as the The National Museum of Prehistory is not very accessible or people friendly to non-Chinese speakers and 'Baby Carriers' is such a fantastic book.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource