tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 pm 

Hi everyone,

This came from the weekend FT, I thought some of you might enjoy it.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3fb0f652-ebf7 ... ck_check=1

Steven

www.stevenqfrost.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:30 pm 

Thank you Steven for that! I had a little trouble using the link you provided as it required registration to read the entire article. If one uses this: http://www.ft.com/artsandweekend and then looks for the article title ("Who are the true barbarians?") under the "Columnists" column, you can go directly to the page without registering.

The author of the article is definitely onto something. We have so much to learn from the tribal cultures. I feel privileged to be living close to several and to be able to visit their villages, see their way of life, own and study their artifacts. Their closeness to the earth is something we need to learn from, tho with the current global political and economic circumstances, I fear it's a bit late.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Steven and Susan. Just so that one of our latest members with a special interest in the Atayal (and the forum search facility) picks up on this article I am going to put their name into the heading of the thread!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:44 am 

And it worked perfectly, Pamela ! I thank you and Steven.
As soon as I saw the word ‘Atayal’ mentioned in the title, I clicked on the post.

This is a great column that I enjoyed reading. Hope the others also ! It’s good to see that there are still some people writing for the international medias that are having a different thought about Taiwan and that are not blinded by the economic raising of China.

When I began reading the article, I thought first it would be another boring report on the Palace Museum collections or tourism in Taiwan, through its Wulai hotspring. One more article full of cliches, I told myself initially !

But, no. Absolutely not, it took me by surprise, and my interest grew quickly. I love the way the writer used its visit to a very modest local museum, and the customs of the Atayal people it promotes, to make a plea for democracy and, mostly, the durable economy. I won’t go further on this as we are getting away from the subject of this forum.

But, to go back to the tribal cultures, what the author doesn’t know may be, it is that just 200 m away from the Palace Museum, on the other side of the street, there is another museum, the Shunyi Museum of Formosan Aborigines, where one of the best private collections on this island is on permanent display. I go there regularly but, unfortunately, I’m only one of its rare visitor, when everybody is queing hours to see exhibits in the other museum, the one mentioned above and that is just a couple of hundred meters away.

Great article, showing also there is still a lot to do to promote the Taiwanese aborigines cultures as they are vastly ignored not only abroad but here also, in Taiwan. It’s funny to see today everybody crazy about the Austronesian world (Easter Island, French Polynesia, Hawaii, New Zealand, Micronesia, Sout East Asia Islands, Philippines…) but ignoring that one of its initial departure point was in Taiwan !

yuanzhumin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Nicolas/yuanzhumin

I am glad that you enjoyed this article - all part of the forum welcome (now that was cheeky of me!!!).

Thanks for the info on the Shunyi Museum of Formosan Aborigines near the National Museum.

I am going to try to put a copy of this thread on the 'Museums, Exhibitions, Events, Galleries, Websites' part of the forum for anyone searching for museums in Taiwan. That will entail moving this thread there and then back here - hope I don't mess it up!! (success!)

best,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject: Wulai Atayal Museum
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:23 pm 

Having visited this museum a couple of months back I can fully recommend dropping in if you are in the area - the hot springs are fantastic as are the hiking trails and food. There is also a great cable car ride a little further upstream which, takes you over the top of a phenomenal waterfall (at the time I visited it was closed for renovation but the hike up was awesome).

Back to the Museum.

One of the great things about this museum is its accessibility to non-Mandarin speakers. Although small, it covers a lot in the space available. The first floor is a broad introduction to Taiwanese Aboriginal groups covering their distribution and a great set of models detailing traditional Taiwan Aboriginal dwelling structures. Vegetation and fauna of the local area are also introduced along with a variety of hunting implements and a great interactive display of Atayal tattoo traditions. This tradition was recently revived by a young married couple who now bear tradtional face tattoos.
The second floor covers weaving, musical instruments and implements of daily use. The textile examples do incorporate a number of older pieces but the majority are stunning modern examples. Unfortunately with a new undertaking by the government - two great publications associated with the musum are no longer available - except for reading within the museum. All in all this is a great little museum, centrally located in Wulai, and definitely worth a visit when you are in the area.

I wholeheartedly agree with Nicholas regarding the Shunye museum located just up the road from the National Palace Museum - I am also commonly the only person there! The collection on public display is absolutely phenomenal!!! This, in combination with the ease of access and lack of crowds have enabled many enjoyable hours absorbing the offerings. Furthermore, it's publications focused on promoting an awareness of Taiwan Aboriginal Culture are fantastic! Definitely a museum that should be on everyone's list of 'to-dos' in Taiwan.