tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I have received an information sheet on a new book: 'Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China' Editor Ruth Smith, textiles from the Gina Corrigan collection. I am attaching a scan of the info sheet.

I have sent off for a copy of the book and will report back when I have received it. As you will see, payment is only in £ sterling and by cheque or bankers draft. I would be prepared to facilitate book purchases for forum members via PayPal (+ their commission). There are costs quoted for sending the book within the UK, to Europe, and USA/Asia.

This book is the 'companion text' to 'Miao Embroidery from South West China' by Ruth Smith. I note that it has double the number of pages of that book.

Sorry, I used the form for my order with my name and address before I realised that I wanted to scan it to share with the forum so this does not show on the scan. The form only had 2 headings - Name; Address and a request to please print.

Attachments:
Min_Text_Tech.jpg
Min_Text_Tech.jpg [ 66.51 KiB | Viewed 8566 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:34 am 
Site Admin

I have received my copy of 'Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China' and find it a very welcome addition to my library. It is printed on heavy, shiny paper and is full of photos - hence the expensive postal costs. I am attaching scans of the front cover and also the contents page.

The book covers a lot and is a good basic text. For 'experts' of particular techniques or even groups it may be too much of a skim and, as Gina said to me on the telephone this week 'we tried to include something for everyone'. However, I would have been very pleased to have had this book when I started to become interested in Chinese minority textiles. It is, however, more than a basic text and is a very useful reference. The attempts to understand and document techniques seem good - I have not had a chance to read in depth yet having only leafed through each page and then started reading at the beginning. Diagrams, detail photos, photos of techniques being executed, photos of clothing and photos of costume being worn provide strong support for the text. I thought giving you a scan of the contents would give you an idea of the balance of the book. The 60+ pages of 'Costume gallery: 1987 - 2007' are Gina's photos of costume being worn through the last 20 years. They identify date, location and direct attention to particular aspects of the clothing. The photos also show something that fascinates Gina, the evolution of the costume over time. It is not static but constantly evolving.

Gina and her husband Peter will be at all the Knitting and Stitching Shows in the UK this year and will have copies of the book with them. See my earlier post http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... php?t=1009 I gather that their initial print run is a 1,000 copies - and they have already sold 1,200 copies of the earlier 'Miao Embroidery from South West China' published in 2005. In all ways the second volume is a weightier volume than the first. As I said in my earlier post, I would be willing to facilitate purchases of the book via PayPal for forum members who do not have access to a £ sterling account. I would need to add on the commission charges (approx 4%) which I will be charged by PayPal. I would then send Gina a £ cheque and the delivery details. If you want me to assist please contact me either via the private message or email facility of this forum with delivery details for the book and we can then arrange the PayPal payment.

Attachments:
File comment: Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China - front cover
Min_Text_TechF.jpg
Min_Text_TechF.jpg [ 74.64 KiB | Viewed 8512 times ]
File comment: Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China - contents page
Min_Text_TechC.jpg
Min_Text_TechC.jpg [ 47.97 KiB | Viewed 8512 times ]

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Seconding the above!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:14 am 

I too have received my copy of 'Minority Textile Techniques: Costumes from South West China' and can wholeheartedly second what Pamela has said! Excellent attention to detail with accompanying images and insights.
The text progression from crop through spinning and weaving (the weave structures given for different techniques are a great help!) to dyes and then cut and construction are excellent.
The sections on skirt pleating; wax, resin and stitch resists significantly expand the detail of the same subjects covered in the book 'Imprints on Cloth'.
The embroidery section follows the very succesful layout of the first book 'Miao Embroidery from South West China', with embroidery untangled through excellent illustrations of technique.
The case studies and costume gallery are also excellent - detailing not only the costumes but giving insight into the changes accompanying the opening of Guizhou to the outside world.
The final essay, Traditions, Change and Trends, by Gina Corrigan, is a fascinating insight into how the people of Guizhou are adapting to new opportunities.
An excellent reference book for which no apology should be made re: 'we tried to include something for everyone'!! I am most grateful to have this book and to which, I am certain, will be oft referred. I look forward to the next volume!
Regards
Iain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm 

I, too, have just received my copy of this very useful book and am amazed at the scope of information and number of photos. It was a pleasant surprise to find quite a few other groups than just Miao covered. The photos are really interesting and do a competent job of showing techniques, but really are an outstanding record of the myriad examples of minority peoples' costumes and the evolution of the designs. One can study these photos over and over, and continue to learn something new. I highly recommend this book to anyone studying/collecting the textiles of the minority groups in SW China.

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/