tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: naga book
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:10 pm 

I have just purchased an outstanding book on the Naga peoples of India and Burma which has just come in print. It is called "THE HIDDEN WORLD OF THE NAGA:LIVING TRADITIONS IN NORTHEAST INDIA AND BURMA " by Peter Van Ham and Aglaja Stirn published by Prestel. This is the same authors as "the Seven Sisters of India" which came out a couple of years ago.
It appears to be the first recent book I have come across on Nagas with good quality photographs, most of the books I have seen to date having in general very poor quality illus. (these are usually Indian publications)
It is packed with photos on many aspects of Naga life including some impressive photos of textiles being worn. In addition their is a detailed map of Naga tribes across their entire range, including some little known groups I have not seen mentioned in other publications this is accompanied by a chapter containg a decription of the tribes themselves.
Their will be more info on my website to be up and running soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Siriol, I agree. A very beautifully produced book with excellent text and good information. See http://www.tribaltextiles.info/bibliogr ... _books.htm for full details of the book. I purchased mine via a re-seller on Amazon UK. There is a chapter focusing on weaving but the book is full of photos of the costume (being worn) which are, indeed, stunning with very many arresting people shots. Very clearly a book by photographers and certainly to be appreciated by photographers!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:59 pm 

Dear all,

thanks for the many compliments about "The Hidden World of the Naga". We are very happy and proud to be appreciated so much by your forum.

Best regards

Aglaja Stirn & Peter van Ham
http://www.stirn-vanham.com

P.S.: By next week approximately geo.de should have a photo portfolio of our book running at their website. The great thing is that it will be accompanied by original music of the Naga that we recorded during our fieldwork. We're looking for sponsors for this Cd to be produced by the Smithsonian Institution. Please check out our website for details - also on our Society for the Preservation and Promotion of Naga Heritage (SPNH)