tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:59 pm 

Hello all,

I’m trying to locate a supplier (exporter) of Hmong batik hemp fabric. This could be anywhere - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam or China.

I bought a bolt (see pics) on a visit to Chiang Mai six years ago, and I’m pursuing a business idea in which I’d like to use such hemp fabric. I realize Batik patterns are unique; the attached pics are just to give an idea of what I'm looking for - repeating geometric designs.

A supplier in Chiang Mai (www.summithemp.com) seemed just what I was looking for, but the owner, Karsten Blokker, sadly died recently. I admire the way he was running his business, as he apparently balanced profit with a concern for the local hill tribes, returning a high percentage of the proceeds to the local people he did business with. I would like to find a supplier with the same mindset.

I appreciate any help anyone out there can bring!

Thank you,

Matt Chapuis
Dallas, TX

Attachments:
Batik Roll - closeup.jpg
Batik Roll - closeup.jpg [ 31.08 KiB | Viewed 3923 times ]
Batik Roll.jpg
Batik Roll.jpg [ 26.45 KiB | Viewed 3923 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:19 am 

Hi,
Anshun is known as the home of batik. There are many batik fatories, shops and the minorities there are producing batic of different material .It's a city in Guizhou, southwest China. Giving more detail information, you may get what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I agree that Anshun is a city where there is considerable wax resist being made. However, I think that it is unlikely that the batik factories in Anshun will be selling wax resist which has been executed on hemp. I have visited one of the best but did not see any hemp. Production of hemp in China is very much only being carried out for personal use by some minorities. I believe there is even a law forbidding hemp production in China (because of its link to canabis).

There might be better luck in getting ramie as this is industrially produced. The two bast fibres are very similar in 'feel' and look, at least when home produced.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource