tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:32 pm 

The Area of Arunachal Pradesh in the remote northeast of India bordering
Burma and Tibet has long held a special interest for me. It is a particular chalange to find good quality books on this region, although "The Seven Sisters of India" is an exception. The tribes of this area include the Apa Tanis who practice intensive rice cultivation and are more or less confined
to a single valley and the Nishis (formely Daflas), together with the closely realted Hill Miris. To the east of them are Adis (Abors) and Gallongs, together with Mishmis in the extreme northeast ( the latter are known as Denpas on the Tibetan side of the border and are an unrecognised minority in China). In the west of Arunachal Pradesh are the Mompas, Akas, Sherdukpens, and some other small related groups. Seperated from these tribes in the southeast are Naga related peoples called Wanchos, notces and Tangsas. The Abor tribes appear to extend some way into Tibet where they are called Lopas (luobas ) and are a minority recognised by China.
The Mishmis used to be clothed exclusivly in textiles of their own manufacture but I have no idea if this is still the case, while the Apa Tanis
produced beautiful textiles and maybe still do. These include wonderful shawls used by shamans which have striking orange on blue designs. ((illus in "The hidden Tribes of India" which includes a section devoted to this region and a Japanese publication called "Earth and Sky" exclusivly on NE India. Unfortunatly I dont have the means of posting these photos on the forum at the moment, although the books themselves will appear on my website, due August)?
Another good book on Aurnachal Pradesh is Elwin "Art of the North East frontier of India" of which I have recently managed to purchase a copy ((The Horniman Museum, London also has one). This is full of descriptions of the textiles of these peoples illus with historical field photos. Apart from some brief overviews published in the 60s with some faily good photos eg "The Akas" by Sinha and "The Daflas" by Shukla together with the vols mentioned above, I have yet to find publications with good quality photos, the majority of books on this area are on the whole ver poorly produced and next to useless for visual material: seeing details of costumes and textiles being out of the question!
Another aspect of Arunachal Pradesh which interests me is the affinity its tribes have with groups in northern Burma eg Kachins, who indeed extend across the border into India (Their are also apparently a community of Lisu in Arunachal but have no more info on them). Also
the Nungish gruops (mentioned in "Textiles of Burma") and the Wa groups.
Their is, for example, on pages 110 and 113 of "Burma: frontier photograhs" which documents the photographic work of James Henry Green in highland Burma, intriguing photos of Nung men wearing headresses decorated with hornbill beaks described as being similar to Naga examples, but I also see similarilites with Gallong ceremonial helmets from Arunachal. It would be interesting to know if there is also affinity between textile arts of these two areas as I suspect there probably is.
Lastly there is some good b/w photos in Von Furer Haimendorf "Himalayan Barbary" about the early exploration of Dafla and Apa Tani territory in the first half of the 20th century.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:38 am 

Hi Siriol,

this Peter van Ham posting a message for the first time ever on this forum. I am the one half of the author/photographer duo Aglaja Stirn and Peter van Ham. You are probably already aware of our book efforts on Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland. If not please check out our site:

http://www.stirn-vanham.com

We have just returned from Arunachal where we had been State guests and were allowed to access ALL areas of the country for our new book on Arunachal to be published - hopefully - within the next year. Talks will be held at the Frankfurt book fair in October.

Best regards

Peter

P.S.: The Mishmis are still making their own - extraordinarily beautiful cloths...

Post subject: future Arunachal book
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:06 pm 

Dear Peter
I am very interested in the new book you are planning to bring out on Arunachal Pradesh, there is simply too little photographic material of good quality on this part of India, so when I saw your book "The Seven Sister of India" a couple of years ago I snapped it up without any hesitation. I eagerly await your future Arunachal book.
Concerning the tribes of Arunachal I am very interested in the populations
bordering on Tibet on which I can find little information. The possible presence in this area of a transition zone between Arunachal and Tibetan cultural traits is an aspect of Arunachal cultures on which I have only found tantilizing scraps of information. Elwin describes this northernmost zone as difficult of access and I have seen a handfull of photographs of a people described as Lopa (luoba) who are a recognized minority in China and inhabit the Tibetan side of the border. They bear a resemblence to tribes of the far north of Arunachal and I wonder if they are extensions of these tribes across the international border or quite seperate, though related peoples. How far they may extend into Tibet as a substantal population also interests me. Since you have visited Arunachal Perhaps you can thow some light on this.