tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

'Vanishing Tradition: Architecture and Carpentry of the Dong Minority in China' In April 2005 I included information on this new book in one of my posts above ( http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... =1285#1285 ) - which I quote from below:
Quote:
See Orchid Press (New Releases, Forthcoming Releases) http://d30021575.purehost.com/nr_forthcoming.html Whilst looking for the Naga book I saw that there is also a new book on the Dong - 'Vanishing Tradition: Architecture and Carpentry of the Dong Minority in China' by Klaus Zwerger for the Dong enthusiasts. As I shall be travelling to the land of the Dong next month and hope to see some of their fascinating architecture I can see that this will be on my wish list on my return!

Today I received a News Release email from Orchid Press including info on half a dozen new titles which included further news of this book on the architecture of the Dong:

Quote:
VANISHING TRADITION: Architecture and Carpentry of the Dong Minority of China
Klaus Zwerger
First edition 2006.
290 x 210, 224 pp., 239 duotone plates, 12 architectural plans and line drawings, map
ISBN 974-524-061-3
ISBN-13 978-974-524-061-2 (hb) $ 50.00
An exploration of the unique wooden architectural tradition of the Dong minority peoples of the rugged mountainous regions of south-western China-a tradition most likely to disappear in decades to come, as it is overwhelmed by China's current rampant modernization. The author discusses the historic development of Dong architectural techniques as effected by Dong social and physical environment as well as agriculture and forestry practices of the Dong people. Both residential and public buildings are described and analyzed and all types of structures are illustrated in many striking duotone images.

However, there was somewhat of a sting in the tail:
Quote:
Orchid Press New Releases* : July - September 2006 :
* Please note that not all new titles are available in all markets, immediately.
Please contact Orchid Press for availability dates in specific locations.

I see that the book is available for 'pre-order' on the Amazon.com website and on Amazon.co.uk it suggests that the book will be despatched in 4-6 weeks which, on past experience with the 'Mantles of Merit' book, means absolutely nothing! I think that I am going to hold back for now.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Last edited by Pamela on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

I pleased to report that I have had helpful and speedy responses from Orchid Books and their distributor in UK/Europe to my enquiry about obtaining the Dong Architecture book in the UK. It has already arrived at the distributor whose details are:

Kodansha Europe Ltd.
Tavern Quay
Rope Street
London SE16 7TX
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7740 2770
Fax: +44 (0)20 7394 0946
Email: <mg@kodansha.co.uk> / <aa@kodansha.co.uk>

They have allowed me to purchase direct via Visa or Mastercard.

I gather that Amazon.co.uk should have their copies in about 3 weeks time.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource