tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:46 pm 

Sorry that I have been away from the Forum for awhile. Travel, lectures, etc.

The July-August 2006 issue of Arts of Asia has published my article titled:
CEREMONIAL SKIRTS OF KALIMANTAN'S MUALANG, KETUNGAU and KANTU'

I try to present and contrast skirts from the Kalimantan (Indonesian) portion of Borneo. These were made by Ibanic peoples and are even less well known than those made by the Iban of Sarawak (a state in the Malaysia portion.)

I have attached a sample from each group. They are all circa 1st quarter 20th century.

The had been sewn together at the long (warp) ends and worn with a belt or such to hold them up. Mualang skirts were much wider than the others and hung to around the ankles or somewhat above. The others hung to knee length or slighly below.

They are all patterned by the ikat method and so are called "kain kebat". Kain is the general name for any fabric and kebat is the Iban word for ikat.

Not sure this was the best place to post this?

I hope to be more active now that I have some breathing room.

Attachments:
File comment: A Kantu skirt. Handspun cotton, native dyes. ca. 1920.
Kantu.jpg
Kantu.jpg [ 108.95 KiB | Viewed 8846 times ]
File comment: A ketungau skirt.
Ketunggau.jpg
Ketunggau.jpg [ 102.5 KiB | Viewed 8846 times ]
File comment: A Mualang skirt.
Mualang.jpg
Mualang.jpg [ 120.99 KiB | Viewed 8845 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

John,

Welcome back to the forum!

These are three beautiful ikats and it is interesting to see the differences between the three groups. Looks as if I shall have to try and get this edition of Arts of Asia as it sounds like a 'must have' for the reference library.

I am pleased to hear that you have been able to get down on paper and have published some of your knowledge and beautiful textiles. Very satisfying to be able to pull together several years of seeking knowledge and textiles in this way. Congratulations.

We look forward to seeing any new textiles that you have added to your collection recently - Oh, and baskets! We seem to have a few basket fanciers amongst our members.

best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:18 am 

Congratulations John!

Arts of Asia is a wonderful publication and I'm sure your article is a great addition to the literature on the material culture of Borneo. To my knowledge there is little if anything out there on these incredible pieces.

I commend you also for publishing information about your textile collection; too often collectors and dealers do not document pieces that they acquire and the pieces either move on in private circles and/or the knowledge about them is not widely shared. Not everyone has the inclination to put together a professionally-written and photographed article for publication, but with the internet now, it is very easy to share information and documentation, as on this forum, and your support and contributions here are very important to all of us with an interest in textiles and baskets.

I only hope that I've not missed the few copies of Arts of Asia that make it to Chiang Mai- so far I've not been able to find the most recent one, but I'll keep looking!

cheers,

http://www.tribaltrappings.com
http://tribaltrappings.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Susan

Arts of Asia have a very good back issues section on their website with details of the articles in each edition plus a photo of the cover page to aid identification. The trouble is that once you start looking through back issues you end up with more than you originally intended to order!

I used to be an international subscriber to the magazine but decided to stop because there would be editions with nothing which was right on point for me and I just couldn't cope with all the magazines filling my bookshelves. I knew that their efficient back issues section would mean that I could catch up later. Arts of Asia seems to be one publication that is prepared to run articles which are directly relevant for members of this forum and often articles are pre-cursors to later books. Dr Michael C Howard has had several articles published here before later books published via White Lotus. David and Barbara Fraser had an article on Chin textiles published in Arts of Asia before their book Mantles of Merit was published by River Books.

So, John, are you writing the book and have you got a publisher lined up? We are rooting for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

I was in the bookshop at the Hong Kong Museum of Art yesterday and I picked up the current edition Arts of Asia not realising that this was the edition that I had on order. (I am still waiting for it to arrive by sea mail). I suddenly came across pages of beautiful photos of Ibanic skirts and only then, John, I realised that this was the edition with the article which you refer to above. The photos are stunning. You must be very pleased indeed with the quality of the photo reproduction. I am really looking forward to receiving my copy and reading the text as well as getting a good look at and enjoying the photos. Congratulations!

Post subject: Kain Bidang
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 am 

Dear John;

As a subscriber of Arts of Asia, I was just as excited to read your article and to see for myself the wonderful creation "kain bidang" of the Ibans. In fact, I have to say, it was your article who spearheaded my interest in the puas and skirts of the Ibans.

In any case, I have a quick question to you. I noticed in the examples of your articles, the left and right borders are usually in either red/brown/black in colour. Have you seen an example where the left and right borders are in vertical stripes of blue, green, yellow and red? When worn, the borders will be the top and bottom. I have seen such an example recently during my visit to Kuching, Sarawak and was wondering whether these are fairly recently made.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Edwin