tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rao Jia batik clothing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:27 am 

Responding to Pamela’s latest comments concerning the Rao Jia made on her “Faraway Festival Costumes (S W China)” thread on the Museums, Exhibitions etc. Forum, I’d like to show a few Rao Jia batik clothing pieces.

As far as I know, there is no batik on adult costumes (except on the woman’s head-scarves), but it is commonly found on children’s jackets. Unfortunately, as with the selection below, young children are no respecters of lovely old traditional pieces of clothing, and a number of the pieces have very dirty, torn and worn fronts (from which I will spare you), although the backs are in pretty fine condition.

Jacket 1 is rather nice, with the Tiger (to ward off evil spirits), 2 dragons (competing for the old style coin), four mice (?) and 2 centipedes as well as many different styles of butterflies and birds.

Jacket 2 has a popular fish pattern and again, many different butterflies. You can also see on the back the vague outline of a tiger pattern that had the resist material unsuccessfully removed before re-waxing and dying.

Jackets 3, 4 & 5 have various bird and butterfly patterns with many butterflies hidden with-in the small square patterned areas.

Jackets 6 & 7 are for older girls (perhaps 6-10 year olds). Jacket 6 is an older, more traditional style, whilst Jacket 7 looks newer than the others (certainly cleaner and with little wear and tear) and not only incorporates the red dyed appliqué patterns, but also a band of tie-die on each of the sleeves (I wonder when the Rao Jia might have started using tie-die?).

Attachments:
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 1 (front)
Rao Jia jacket 1.1.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 1.1.jpg [ 63.56 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 1 (back)
Rao Jia jacket 1.2.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 1.2.jpg [ 62.97 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 2 (front)
Rao Jia jacket 2.1.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 2.1.jpg [ 60.17 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 2 (back)
Rao Jia jacket 2.2.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 2.2.jpg [ 57.44 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 3 (back)
Rao Jia jacket 3.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 3.jpg [ 65.07 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Last edited by Andrew Dudley on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:31 am 

Some more children's jackets

Attachments:
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 4 (back)
Rao Jia jacket  4.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 4.jpg [ 60 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 5 (back)
Rao Jia jacket 5.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 5.jpg [ 63.98 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 6
Rao Jia jacket 6.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 6.jpg [ 64.7 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 7
Rao Jia jacket 7.1.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 7.1.jpg [ 59.06 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]
File comment: Rao Jia child's jacket 7 (detail)
Rao Jia jacket 7.2.jpg
Rao Jia jacket 7.2.jpg [ 63.45 KiB | Viewed 4449 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Andrew

Thank you very much indeed for sharing these gems with us. I am so pleased that my earlier post 'invited' your gallery.

They really 'hit the spot' for me as clothing is my first love and children's clothing seems to call forth extra efforts from the makers. Having seen your earlier posts on Rao Jia bedcovers I found the wax resist designs very familiar - but how interesting to see them used in a completely different way and filling different shaped spaces. I think I have been particularly attracted by the whimsy and beautifully flowing lines of the designs in the bedcovers - they certainly lend themselves to the clothing. I find myself smiling as I look through the photos - of course jacket 1 is irresistible with the tiger and accompanying livestock but look at jacket 3 and the way that the fish, fowl and flowers are incorporated into a beautiful abstract design and yet are clearly visible once your eye starts searching out the details.

Thanks as ever for your helpful explanatory background in your introduction to the photos.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource