tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

I have received information from forum member Mark Johnson on some interesting textile events in the Los Angeles area in this coming August (2003). Mark is working with the Malaysian Tourist Board, Textile Museum Associates of Southern California, Sarawak Atelier Society, and his own group, Asian & Tribal Art-Los Angeles, to promote the events. Mark says: "The Malaysian Tourist Board is bringing over some Iban Dayak textile and mat weavers, accompanied by a sape player (a local lute or guitar). Edric Ong, a very well known expert and author on Iban textiles will be doing some lectures at various points in the schedule."

I am attaching the Flyer - gives details of each event - (give it time to download as it takes quite a time!): http://www.tribaltextiles.info/files/flyer_Sarawak.doc and Press Release: (quicker to download) http://www.tribaltextiles.info/files/pr ... arawak.doc which Mark emailed to me (testing out the forum's new software!!) For a web link to more information http://www.rainforestmusic-borneo.com/ramb/

Contact: Mark Johnson at asiaart@markajohnson.com or (800) 923-1653 for further information on all of these events.

Sounds excellent! :D Only wish I had plans to visit LA this August.. :(

Last edited by Pamela on Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:30 am 

Hello all,
Here is some additional information for the events in the Los Angeles are at the end of July to early August. Please contact me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Mark

July 31, 2003 (evening)

Bowers Museum, Santa Ana, California.
Lecture on the origin of ancient textiles, with Borneo textile and mat weaving demonstration. Contact the Bowers Museum at www.bowers.org for details.

August 2 & 3, 2003 (9am to 4pm)

Mission San Juan Capistrano, S.J.C., California.
World Weaving 2003, International Fiber Arts Festival and Marketplace.
Borneo textile and mat weaving demonstration with talk with Edric Ong. Along with other lectures, textile, and fiber arts exhibitions, including older tribal textiles. Contact: www.missionsjc.com/weavingexpo.html or (949) 234-1300 #321 for details. (I will be showing at this exhibition, as well).

August 5th, 2003 (7:30pm)

Westwood United Methodist Church, Helms Hall, 10487 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, California.
Borneo textile lecture by Edric Ong, sponsored by the Textile Museum Associates-Southern California. TMA/SC members: gratis, non-members: $7. Contact: Cheri Hunter at cherihunter@earthlink.net for details.

August 6th, 2003 (10am-2pm)

Pacific Design Center, 8687 Melrose Ave., #B239 (second floor, blue bldg.), West Hollywood, California.
At the Asian & Tribal Art-Los Angeles showroom, suite B239.
Borneo textile and mat weaving demonstration, with sape player. Go to www.ata-la.com then to the events link for details. Contact: Mark Johnson at asiaart@markajohnson.com or (800) 923-1653 for further information on all of these events.