tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:24 pm 

van der Star, Rene: THE ART OF SILVER JEWELLERY. from the Minorities of China, The Golden Triangle, Mongolia and Tibet. London, 2006. 238 pp. 365 colour and 39 b/w illustrations. 24x28 cm. Cloth.
GBP 34.95
The above book has recently been published and is, I believe, easy to get.
It is a quite stunning publication and is dominated by a large number of photos of the silver jewellery worn by the minorities of China, the golden triangle region of Thailand and a smaller section on Tibetan and Mongolian ornaments. All are most beautifuly photographed, against a black or fabric backdrop. In addition the book has a section on tribal textiles, which includes a wonderful Li example: - As the author explains the jewellery must be seen in the wider context of minority culture.
There are also close ups of the various ornaments showing details of engraved designs which include human figures, silkworm dragons etc and which complement similar iconography in the textiles with which they are worn. Examples from the Miao, Dong and Li (Li earings etc) are included
The introduction gives a brief account of the tribal peoples and inculdes field photos showing minorities in their costumes (Miao, Dong, Yao, Li etc) while a section at the end of the book gives technical details, eg composition of the ornaments, manufacture etc.
All in all a wonderful book and great to see material on the minorities of China in English!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:04 am 

I fully agree.

The book is really wonderfull - the layout I like much more then the other book about the R.v.d. Star collection - it´s rather the way like the other Skira publication books from the Gyhsel collection - with just the big difference that the quotation and overall written part is much more informative and larger.

Also very interesting to see that he did metal analysis on all pieces - so one know how much silver and which other metals have been used in casting.

If one is interested in this kind of jewellry (mostly minorities and a little about Tibet/Nepalese) you definatley have to get it.

cheers from Austria
udo.gangl

ps. price in Austria is Euro 59 - amazon.com offers it at 44 $

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:53 am 

I just got my copy of this book and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The resolution of the photos is excellent, especially on the close ups. I also found it very interesting that the silver pieces are listed with the metal content. It can very helpful calibrating ones eye when comparing similar pieces, if you are interested in the silver content.

I still regularly read the forum but have not posted in a while
My interests have expanded/exploded into silver ornamentation but I am still very much an avid textile collector. Crista and I have continued traveling and collecting with our new addition to the family. We will be vendors at the Northwest folklife Festival in Seattle May 26-29 at the Seattle Center. We will have a wide variety of hand crafted textiles from the "Golden Triangle". Look for us at the Lane Xang Trading Co. Booth.

Rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Rusty,

Very good to hear from you again and that you still keep in touch with the forum.

The photos in the 'ART OF SILVER JEWELLERY. from the Minorities of China, The Golden Triangle, Mongolia and Tibet' really are excellent quality. My only nigle is that the writers consistently refer to 'Ge Jia Miao' throughout and the Ge Jia are most unhappy to be classed as Miao.

All the best with your expanded interests and family.

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource