tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skirt - Thailand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:07 am 
Many years ago (1986) I visited Thailand, went treking in Chang Mai and bought a skirt from women selling in the villages where we stayed. I think it is Hmong, possibly, I will check my diary. It is sitting in my attic, does anyone know somewhere or someone who would like it and put it to good use? Elspeth

originally posted 19 May 03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Elspeth, many people could be interested including myself but it is difficult to say sight unseen and not knowing your location. You have not given an email address so also a bit difficult for anyone to follow up. (I am in the UK, others who check this forum are in the USA, France, Belgium, Thailand... Some more information would be helpful. Do you have a photo of the piece? I visited Thailand for the first time in 1988 a couple years after you and wished I had bought a Hmong skirt! Pamela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:09 am 

I am always greedy, but Pamela gets first "dibs". Sandie in Berkeley California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Sandie, how kind - and I love your elegant phrasing!!! Pamela

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:14 am 
Site Admin

I do NOT encourage blatant advertising on this forum. Normally I would have removed this post but, having had a look at the web link, I think it possible that visitors to this site might find the mudmee skirts of interest. They are not, of course, Hmong skirts which was the topic of this thread.

By the way, Sandie, if you get to see this when you are up and running on a PC again I was not contacted about the Hmong skirt so neither of us had a chance of first or second dibs! Pamela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:16 am 

Hi Pamela, I checked out the web site for Thai matmi skirts. I think the prices are high, and turning the pha sin into skirts limits their wearing to whatever size the skirt is made, and of course ruins the lines. Also, some textiles are actually woven in Laos; it's hard to tell what is new and what may have some age. Any other comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Sandie - I agree with all your comments. However, I do get enquiries from people will less passion for 'the real thing' than us textiles obsessives who want something wearable or useable. I certainly thought they were expensive but I suppose it depends on what your available options are. I certainly was not happy about the way the message was posted!!! Pamela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:19 am 

Hi Pamela, Thanks for the rapid response. Sorry about the Hmongskirt, but we are back in touch with some Hmong in Fresno (central valley CA, and home to many tribal groups from Laos). We've gotten a number of story cloths from them, and are happy to renew contact. Let me check foryou if they can get you a skirt. The ad was crass of course, but you did your duty and who knows who may be interested. Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, Sandie, but I not urgently looking for a Hmong skirt. I might have been interested in the one which started the post - especially if it had been sitting in the UK not that far from me (could see it, perhaps, - the Hmong skirts are quite heavy). However, I very much appreciate your offer. Many thanks, Pamela