tribaltextiles.info

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chin textiles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:19 pm 

Readers might be interested in a book of ours that has just been published by River Books in Bangkok:

Mantles of Merit: Chin Textiles from Myanmar, India and Bangladesh by David W. and Barbara G. Fraser

It combines historic photographs with contemporary field photographs, studio images of a wide range of Chin textiles and drawings of textile structures. There are more than 600 color photographs.

The book is available in the US from Antique Collectors Club -- and is also listed on Amazon.

Barbara and I would welcome correspondence about Chin textiles (and the book).

David Fraser

Post subject: welcome to the forum!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

David

I am very pleased to welcome you to the tribaltextiles.info/community forum.

I have moved your post to our special forum for books - we are mostly all bookoholics on this forum! We have been following the progress of 'Mantles of Merit' for some months. See the post: http://www.tribaltextiles.info/communit ... .php?t=269 I am still waiting for Amazon.co.uk to deliver me a copy - the last prognosis on 31 May was '4-6 weeks' so hopefully it may be waiting for me when I get back to work on 11 July.

Thanks for the offer of correspondence re Chin textiles and the book.

best wishes,

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:04 pm 

I have just this week bought "Mantles of Merit" from Hatchards bookshop in London. (Having had no further response from Amazon, and seeing it in the shops, I just had to pick up a copy!)
As others have remarked, it is very impressive indeed with many wonderful textile close ups. (reminicent of the Cheesman Lao Tai textiles book featured in other posts)
It covers both both northern and southern Chin groups together with the Mro and their neighbours with beautiful photos of bankets and tunics etc, old field photos and modern colour photos of textiles being worn.
There is a very detailed text, I look forward to reading as soon as I have time.
This is indeed a very much welcome volume, as in my experience, information on the Chin tribes and their rich textile tradition seems to be difficult to come by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:11 am 
Site Admin

This week I had an email from Amazon.co.uk saying:
Quote:
We are sorry to report that, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to source the following item:

David Fraser, Barbara Fraser "Mantles of Merit: Chin Textiles from Myanmar, India and Bangladesh"

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order

As Siriol had posted that she had sourced the book from Hachards I emailed them and they confirmed that they still had a copy in stock - which I have now ordered. (I couldn't actually find the book on their website http://www.hatchards.co.uk/ but just sent them an email enquiry.)

Yesterday I had an 'occasional listing' by email from mail order bookshop Hanshan Tang and 'Mantles of Merit' http://www.hanshan.com/index.html?f/FRAMM1 was on this listing (available on 15/7/05 at £35 the same as at Hatchards). Both Siriol and I have bought a number of titles from HST over the years.

I was really annoyed with Amazon.co.uk and, after a long trawl of their website trying to find out how to complain and get a direct email/form to send to them managed to do so on Thursday. I stated that I knew that the book had been available for some weeks from the publishers, River Island Books in Thailand and that friends in Thailand and Singapore had sourced copies and one of the authors had told me it was available via Amazon.com. Also it had been bought from Hatchards in London and they had confirmed they had it in stock and I had ordered a copy. I actually had a response back from Amazon.co.uk yesterday:
Quote:
We are sorry to know of the inconvenience you faced while trying to obtain the item "Mantles of Merit: Chin Textiles from Myanmar, India and Bangladesh" from us.

Although we are affiliated, all orders with Amazon.com are independent of any orders with Amazon.co.uk. This means that we cannot order items from another Amazon site.

Please understand that as a retailer, we rely solely on the supply from our supplier. The availability and dispatch times listed on our website are estimates only, and not guarantees. While we do our best to adhere to these estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers, and occasionally, unexpected fluctuations in supply can add time to your order.

However, we are happy to know that you received the item from a different source. We will pass on this information to the concerned department.

In an effort to compensate for any inconvenience caused by this, I would like to give you a 3.00 GBP gift certificate, for use toward your next Amazon.co.uk order. Please note that you must use the Shopping Basket method, rather than 1-Click, to place an order with a gift certificate.

You will find all of the details below. Simply print out the gift certificate or save the message on your hard drive for future reference.

I do understand that a promotional gift certificate cannot really make amends for the inconvenience you faced with the order. Please accept it as a goodwill gesture and apology for adding stress to what should have been a shopping experience that is easy, secure, and most importantly, stress-free.

Your business is important to us, but not as important as your satisfaction. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove the quality of our service.

I have just checked on the Amazon.co.uk website and 'Mantles of Merit' is still showing on the site both new and used and reduced from £35 to £24. I find this irritating and mis-leading and am contacting Amazon.co.uk to tell them this. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/ and search on the Books section for Mantles of Merit) I see that a copy is available via Abebooks at £40.20 as a 'used' copy!

Seems to me that I just don't understand the book selling game!!

http://www.tribaltextiles.info
on-line tribal textiles resource